OJS Crossref Plugin - DOI to Issues only

Hi all.

I encounter the following problem: I am using OJS 2.4.6 and I want to assign DOIs only to issues (the issue has no articles - only an issue galley with the PDF of the issue). The DOI plugin is enabled and the Issue View page shows the “assigned” DOI as it supposed to.

At the “Import/Export” area → Crossref no Issue is available for export. Is this an OJS Feature? Or should I enable anything else?

Thank you in advance.

Hi @Dimitris_Efstathiou

Yes, currently the Crossref plugin only takes care of articles, thus the “Export issues” page registeres actually articles of an issue i.e. issue-by-issue :frowning: See also discussion here: Does the Crossref Issue Export care about Issues, or Articles? · Issue #824 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub. I will ask, how we should proceed i.e. if we are going to make the change for OJS 2.4.x and will let you know…

Best!
Bozana

Hi @Dimitris_Efstathiou,

I’m a little curious about how you are publishing your content - is there a particular reason why you aren’t publishing individual articles? A lot of the value of using OJS is provided by having article-level metadata available to indexing services and such, and that simply isn’t available at the issue level, even with an uploaded issue galley. I’m just curious about the scenario here. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
James

Hi @jmacgreg,

Isn’t the issue a “document” eligible for DOI assignment, regardless its content? (theoretical question)

If it is, should the assigned to the issue DOI stand for it self?

As for the question it happens that a certain client of ours uses ojs to publish one PDF: that is all the issue as an issue galley. The client does not want to publish articles individually.

Regards.

Hi @Dimitris_Efstathiou,

As per @bozana’s link to the github issue, journal issues are not currently provided a DOI for submitting into Crossref, but they are eligible, and we will be adding it at some point.

And thanks for the further info on the publishing situation! You may want to let your client know though that issues don’t have the same level of metadata as articles, and won’t be properly indexed or harvested anywhere, including in Google Scholar.

Cheers,
James

Thank you @jmacgreg.

Keeping everything in mind.

Regards