OJS and 000webhost

Hello all!

I’ve recently discovered OJS and i’m playing around with it in order to see if i can set up a working journal site.

I’m using 000webhost as a hosting service because it provides PHP and MySQL for free and to install OJS i copied all files contained in the tar file i downloaded to the public_html directory on the ftp, after that i just accessed the 000webhost.com default URL and followed the instructions of the installation.

I wanted to see if anyone else has tried to deploy a OJS site on 000webhost in order to see if there are any do’s and/or dont’s i should be aware of, also to be sure i’m not making any big mistakes to begin with.

I’m far from being an expert in hosting services nor PHP applications so, while everything seems to be working more or less so far, i wanted to double check everything before i build a live site.

Thanks in advance!
Rafa
PS: I’m also new to this forum so forgive me if this is not the right place for this topic

HI @raphael,
Free 000webhost is restrictive in many ways, so it is just loss of time and energy. I tried it two years back but had severe limitations.

I suggest you try in your localhost. Download XAMPP and run it in your computer. Then your computer acts like a server. You can install OJS in your computer and run as if you are running OJS in the web server.

Hope this helps you.

Best regards,

Thanks @anupent !

I was able to get OJS to run locally by using the PHP built in server but i was looking into convenient hosting for a journal i am collaborating with.

000webhost is indeed very restrictive so i am trying helio host.

Also i am still learning how to install OJS in a production environment, do you have any recommendations on this?

Hi @raphael,

I hope any paid hosting like goDaddy should be adequate for OJS to run. I remember seeing this answer by @asmecher in another post a few days back.

Best regards,