[OJS 3.x] Automatically emailing all members

Hi there,

I notice that this system is more of an “opt-out” service, which I believe does go against the anti-span legislation. Is there a way to create an “opt-in” option for mail-outs instead. As it stands now, every person who requests removal from the list, needs to go into their personal settings and deselect the announcement notifications. The only thing that should be automatic should be internal communication notifications.

Serena

Hi @Serena_Henderson,

What specific version of OJS are you using? (Please include this in your posts.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

@asmecher We are using OJS3.
Serena

Hi @Serena_Henderson,

What release of OJS 3? e.g. 3.1.1, 3.1.2-1, etc.

Thanks,
Alec

@asmecher Version: 3.1.2.1
Serena

Hi @Serena_Henderson,

And just to be clear, the specific email that you’re asking about is the new announcement notification, correct?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec,

Yes, the “new announcement” of an issue being published.

Serena

@asmecher

I have done some digging and the way the auto email is displayed is a breach of CASL legislation. In accordance with CASL the following conditions must be met:

1. Remember that your message must include:
  • your business name and the name of anyone on whose behalf you’re sending the message
  • a current mailing address and either a phone number, email or website address
  • accurate contact information that will be valid for at least 60 days after you send the message
  • an unsubscribe mechanism in accordance with subsection 11(1) of CASL

This email is missing a couple of these. These elements should be automatically included in this kind of push notification.

Thanks!
Serena