OJS 3 Submission metadata not save

Hi…i need help. My OJS version 3.1.0.1 with PHP 5.6.33 , when an author submit the article, the page submission metadata not save (continous loading) and can’t proceed to the next step.
What should i do?

Hi @imrunz83

Is there any error when saving that metadata form?

Is your problem maybe similar the this one here: Failed update from 2.4.8.1 to 3.02

Best,
Bozana

Hi Bozana Bokan,

There is no error come out…only loading icon is continously running(next to save&cancel button)…and it is not save or proceed to next step…and i think it not same problem with the one u had mentioned

Hi @imrunz83

Hmmm…
Could you watch your PHP error log and browser developer console/network when saving this form – if an error is occurring…

Best,
Bozana

Hi, i get this error 403 forbidden

I noticed that when i key in “test” in the title and abstract it will give no problem. But when i enter the correct title which is longer and full abstract then the problem arise.

Hi @imrunz83

Hmmm… How are your settings (e.g. post_max_size, upload_max_filesize) in the php.ini config file on the server?
Hmmm… And do you see any errors in your PHP/apache error log file?

Hmmm…
Bozana

Hi…this are errors that i can view from error log:

[20-Mar-2018 17:00:33 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of PKPSubmissionMetadataViewForm::fetch() should be compatible with Form::fetch($request, $template = NULL, $display = false) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/lib/pkp/controllers/modals/submissionMetadata/form/PKPSubmissionMetadataViewForm.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:33 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of PKPSubmissionMetadataViewForm::initData() should be compatible with Form::initData() in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/lib/pkp/controllers/modals/submissionMetadata/form/PKPSubmissionMetadataViewForm.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:33 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of PKPSubmissionMetadataViewForm::execute() should be compatible with Form::execute() in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/lib/pkp/controllers/modals/submissionMetadata/form/PKPSubmissionMetadataViewForm.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:33 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionSubjectEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId() should be compatible with ControlledVocabEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL, $filter = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionSubjectEntryDAO.inc.php on line 20
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:33 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionKeywordEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId() should be compatible with ControlledVocabEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL, $filter = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionKeywordEntryDAO.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:33 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionDisciplineEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId() should be compatible with ControlledVocabEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL, $filter = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionDisciplineEntryDAO.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:33 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionAgencyEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId() should be compatible with ControlledVocabEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL, $filter = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionAgencyEntryDAO.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:33 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionLanguageEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId() should be compatible with ControlledVocabEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL, $filter = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionLanguageEntryDAO.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:34 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method PKPRequest::getUserVar() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/lib/pkp/classes/form/Form.inc.php on line 369
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:34 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRequest.inc.php on line 592
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:34 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Deprecated: Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:34 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getSeq() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getSeq($contextId = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:34 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getBlockContext() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getBlockContext($contextId = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:34 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getEnabled() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getEnabled($contextId = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:34 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getContents() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getContents($templateMgr, $request = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:35 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getSeq() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getSeq($contextId = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:35 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getBlockContext() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getBlockContext($contextId = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:35 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getEnabled() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getEnabled($contextId = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:35 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getContents() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getContents($templateMgr, $request = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:42 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getSeq() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getSeq($contextId = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:42 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getBlockContext() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getBlockContext($contextId = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:42 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getEnabled() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getEnabled($contextId = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:42 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getContents() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getContents($templateMgr, $request = NULL) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:47 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/pages/index/IndexHandler.inc.php on line 68
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:47 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method Config::getContextBaseUrls() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/usageEvent/PKPUsageEventPlugin.inc.php on line 199
[20-Mar-2018 17:00:47 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionFileDAO::fromRow() should be compatible with PKPSubmissionFileDAO::fromRow($row, $fileImplementation) in /home/kpjucedu/public_html/kpjmedicaljournal/classes/article/SubmissionFileDAO.inc.php on line 23

Regards

Hi @imrunz83

those are not error messages – you could actually configure your PHP error logging not to contain those messages…

Best,
Bozana

I bet there is word(s) in the title and the abstract that triggers the server mod_security extension. Maybe a database related term like SELECT, JOIN, WHERE, UPDATE etc.

The only way to fix this is to edit the mod_security settings and only your service provider can do that. See for example https://bobcares.com/blog/403-server-error/

I have the same problem, is there a solution?

ask your service provider if mod_security is enabled and if they have a log of errors that have caused 403. mod_rewrite rules is something that can not be fixed from OJS. It applies to any software that uses html forms, like WP and Drupal.

mod_security is not available on my hosting, there may be other options…?

But you get a 403 error?

get nothing…

then it does not sound like the original problem here. I suggest that you start a new issue, describe what is happening in more detail (what you try to do and what happens) and mention the exact version OJS you are using.

I am facing same issue. There is no error come out…only loading icon is continuously running and it is not save or proceed to next step

Hi…i need help. My OJS version 3.1.0.1 with PHP 5.6.33 , when an author submit the article, the page submission metadata not save (continous loading) and can’t proceed to the next step.
What should i do?

The key to debugging this will be to identify whether the failure is related to a 403 error (as in the thread above) or a 500 error.

A 403 error is probably related to your webserver configuration (or an upstream proxy).

A 500 error is probably relate to the OJS code, and will leave an error message in your PHP error log. In the event of a 500 error, please share the details from the error log here. Note also that OJS 3.1.0-1 is fairly old at this point (December 2017). If the error is related to the OJS code, you may find that it is already resolved in a current release.