OJS 3 looses pop-up form in right-to-left locales

Hi everyone,

I had a problem with the Arabic locale interface when the pop-up windows is supposed to take place on the screen. It simply disappears, so the user cannot continue filling the form unless he switches to English.

Case example:
when using the Quick Submit utility, at the point when the editor wants to click on: Record Editor Decision.
If the editor is using the Arabic locale, the screen dims, but without showing any window to interact with.

Hi @vormia,

Can you reproduce this without the Quick Submit utility? I have tried a few modal windows with the Arabic locale and I can’t reproduce the issue you describe. If you can reproduce the issue with the core platform I’ll try to run through those steps and see if I can reproduce it.

Hi @NateWr,

Yes, I reproduced the same error using the typical submission process.
The editor used the Arabic UI to send the new submission to review, and he lost the sub-form.
Website used: http://abaa.uobaghdad.edu.iq
Current version: 3.1.1.2

Setting Name Setting Value
OS platform Linux
PHP version 5.6.38
Apache version Apache
Database driver mysql
Database server version 5.7.24
i18n
locale en_US
client_charset utf-8
connection_charset utf8
database_charset utf8
charset_normalization Off

I shall try to get any other details upon request.
Many thanks.

Thanks @vormia. Looking into that with Arabic, I don’t lose the modal. But I can see that a scrollbar appears which could lead the modal to appear hidden.

ar-modal

Can you confirm if this is the problem you’re facing? If so, we can probably address this pretty easily.

Hi @NateWr,

Indeed, that’s the exact case I’m referring to, and from my experience, I expected to have the scroll bar at the bottom of the page. Nevertheless, when scrolling to the end, still no sign of the form.

By the way, I was using Google Chrome to browse the web.

Many thanks for your quick response.

I’ve filed an issue to fix this. You can follow progress there: Modals can disappear in RTL languages · Issue #4182 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

Many thanks to you @NateWr.

Good day @NateWr,

I think the same is happening here but with slightly different outcome. When I have a submission ready to be send for reviewers, pressing Add a reviewer button gives this pop-up window in English UI.

while in Arabic UI, I can only see this, also with a scroll bar at the bottom.

I hope this can be taken into consideration.
Regards,

Hi @vormia,

I’m unable to reproduce this myself. It appears to be a different issue – one where the modal background styles are not appearing properly.

Did you complete your installation from the download package at pkp.sfu.ca, or did you install from the GitHub repository? I wonder if there’s an issue happening with out-dated compiled CSS on an otherwise upgraded installation…

Hi @NateWr,

You are right. After trying with a different installation with OJS 3.1.1-4, I couldn’t reproduce the problem.
This time, I got OJS by downloading the package from pkp.sfu.ca and installed it locally. The latter issue I mentioned, happened on a live server I do not have access to. Indeed, they may have a lack of some css files on their installation.

Thanks again.

1 Like