[OJS 3] acron plugin call intervals

Hi everybody,

I have a question about the acron plugin. I am writing documentation for my plugin that uses scheduled tasks to provide the possibility to post to social media (when you have new published issues/articles).

As far as I can see the acron plugin runs every time the OJS is accessed and will look for scheduled tasks that are due. If there are scheduled tasks that are due, they will be executed.

So if I want the plugin to post once per hour I have to have a scheduled task that runs once per hour. But if the OJS does not get accessed for two hours the task will be run the next time the OJS is accessed. Or is there something that I’m missing?

So is it fair to say that the user defined posting intervals cannot be guaranteed and it might take longer if the OJS is not accessed in the meantime?

Greetings,
Markus

Hi @MarHerUMR,

Exactly as you describe – the Acron plugin requires OJS to be accessed in order for tasks to be executed, and intervals aren’t guaranteed. The Acron plugin is generally a work-around for systems that can’t support a cron-based tool (or similar), and if you want more reliable intervals, I’d suggest setting up cron.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response.