OJS 3.4: emails sent with placeholders instead of data

Hello, after the upgrade to OJS 3.4.0.4 journal editors have faced the issue, that they receive emails without the actual values, just as placeholders without actual data. Here is an example:

Article Review Completed

{$editorialContactName}:

I have now completed my review of “article name printed” for {$contextName}, and submitted my recommendation, “{$recommendation}.”

The author’s name is displayed correctly

This is an automated message from [journal name](https://actual address). You can unsubscribe from this email at any time.

Honestly, there could be more such cases, but this is the first problem with emails.

Are we missing something?

Hi @Garant,

Is it Reviewer Commented Notify Editors email? You can check this in the Manage Emails menu

Yes, it’s this template:

{$editorialContactName}:

I have now completed my review of "{$submissionTitle}" for {$contextName}, and submitted my recommendation, "{$recommendation}."

{$reviewerName}

Only a few variables were filled out:
{$submissionTitle}
{$contextName}
{$reviewerName}

So, the {$editorialContactName} and {$recommendation} were not filled… displayed as variables

Hmm, is it possible that it was customised somehow?

It looks to be added only in 3.4 with the following body:

<p>Dear {$recipientName},</p>
<p>{$reviewerName} completed the following review:</p>
<p><a href=\"{$submissionUrl}\">#{$submissionId} {$authorsShort} — {$submissionTitle}</a><br />
<b>Recommendation:</b> {$reviewRecommendation}<br />
<b>Type:</b> {$reviewMethod}</p>
<p>Login to <a href=\"{$submissionUrl}\">view all files and comments</a> provided by this reviewer.</p>
1 Like

Thanks for the answer @Vitaliy ,
so do you mean, that instead of mine version, it should be:

<p>Dear {$recipientName},</p>
<p>{$reviewerName} completed the following review:</p>
<p><a href=\"{$submissionUrl}\">#{$submissionId} {$authorsShort} — {$submissionTitle}</a><br />
<b>Recommendation:</b> {$reviewRecommendation}<br />
<b>Type:</b> {$reviewMethod}</p>
<p>Login to <a href=\"{$submissionUrl}\">view all files and comments</a> provided by this reviewer.</p>

in the backend section?

One more problem with other template from other journal (we host multiple on the same OJS installation):

We have reached a decision regarding your submission to **{$contextName}**, "title displayed correctly".

Our decision is to: Decline Submission

We haven’t yet seen other occurances, but did notice this with {$contextName}. As a quick workaround, I went into the email templates and changed {$contextName} to {$journalName} and that fixed the problem.

Resetting the email template might help, too. I’ll watch for that next time, though I don’t remember that template being altered, but it’s possible. When you Edit a template from the list of templates, on the next screen, if the Reset button appears, it was altered at some point, whether deliberately or not.

1 Like

Thank you all,
I forgot to close the issue, cause we just rewrote the templates by the hand.
@mreedks , I will try your solution, if the same will occur with other templates

1 Like