OJS 3.3.0.8 - Navigation Menu Items Displaying In Wrong Language

Hi all,

in one of our journals, the navigation menu item (primary and user nav menu) refuse to show up in the correct language.

I’ve read this post: Menu problem in OJS 3.1 (bug?) and I understand I can probably fix this issue by editing the database, but there’s some parts with our version of this problem I’m unclear about/would like to point out as I believe this is a persistent bug that might need fixing.

The journal in question:

• Chose English and German languages when first installing, both of them work fine
  • Added French later on, works EXCEPT for the NMIs
  • The NMIs in the French view show up as the English values, NOT as missing strings
  • Custom navigation items DO translate correctly
  • French locale entries are missing in the database (navigation_menu_item_settings)
  • French locale entries are NOT MISSING in the backend (Website > Setup > Navigation). They’re all there, OJS just doesn’t seem to want to use them

What confuses me about this situation is that we have an English/German/Catalan journal that had all three languages added when we first installed the journal. The navigation menu items for this one work fine in all languages, BUT in the database, (navigation_menu_item_settings), there are still only the entries for the German and English locale. So where is OJS getting the Catalan NMIs from?

The only differences between the two journals are that the French one had the French language added later on, while the Catalan journal was installed with it. Other than that, the French journal is public and the Catalan journal is not.

My questions:

1. Is there an easier way to fix the French journal than manually editing the database?
  2. To me, this seems like a genuine bug. Could it be fixed in future versions?

Thanks,
Pia