OJS 3.3.0.5 Issues & Users and Roles Pages Extremely Long Load Time

Description of issue or problem I’m having:
After upgrade to 3.3.0.5 moving into an active production site we are experiencing extremely long load times for pages Issues & Users and Roles. Some journals are over 15 minutes to populate table. Tied to traffic activity on production site.

Steps I took leading up to the issue:
We did complete upgrades in Dev and Test environments. Upon soft release in production environment there was an immediate issue with productivity on these two pages in particular. We shut off external access and process and productivity improved immediately. Upon re-release to public immediate return of multiple minute page loads.

What I tried to resolve the issue:
We have determined this is tied directly to site access, and authorized users are being placed in the same que line, often behind around 350 bot requests. Have forced ssl, added sitemap to robots.txt, confirmed all tables are innoDB, and are monitoring traffic activity for bad bots.

Application Version - e.g., OJS 3.1.2:

Additional information, such as screenshots and error log messages if applicable:
We are seeing a spinning circle and Loading for multiple minutes on both Issues & Users and Roles pages.

Hi @Rebel_Cummings-Sauls,

Do you see anything in your PHP error logs that might point to what is occurring?

-Roger
PKP Team

No, we did find CPU maxed out, and have doubled. Still seems to be processing only one at a time when we have hundreds of requests and the system is fully capable and setup to process more than one request. We are still concerned something is not right and question why the need for double CPU with a minor update? Traffic is an obvious problem in this situation as we have multiple test sites that are restricted that do not experience same delays.

Author index page was another separate issue, but adding a disallow for this has helped (it seems).

Hi @Rebel_Cummings-Sauls,

Thanks for the additional details. I’m afraid I don’t know what the issue could be, but other team or community members may be able to assist.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

Same issue here with 130k registered users (tech details below). It works, indeed, but it is not the most relaxing task to check/find/update users on request.

I’ll try to have a deeper look once again. An improvement here would be very much appreciated.

• OJS 3.3.0.7
  • mysql: 15.1 (`mariadb 10.3.28)
  • php 7.4.22

Hi all,

Just a note that this toolset has been substantially rewritten on the back end as part of https://github.com/pkp/ojs/pull/3164; I expect the performance to be massively improved as a result. Unfortunately this can’t be back-ported to OJS/OMP/OPS 3.3.0-x, but if you can wait or work around the slow-down until the OJS/OMP/OPS 3.4 release, you’ll definitely see this resolved with that.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

2 Likes