[OJS 3.3.0.13] Submission URL ({$submissionReviewUrl}) sent to reviewers does not work

When reviewers are invited to review a revised version of an article, the submission URL leads to a blank page (unless reviewers are currently logged in).
We are using the following template:

Dear {$reviewerName},

This regards the manuscript “{$submissionTitle}”, which is under consideration by {$contextName}.

Following the review of the previous version of the manuscript, the authors have now submitted a revised version of their paper. We would appreciate it if you could help evaluate it.

Please log into the journal website by {$responseDueDate} to indicate whether you will undertake the review or not, as well as to access the submission and to record your review and recommendation.

The review itself is due {$reviewDueDate}.

Submission URL: {$submissionReviewUrl}

Thank you for considering this request.
Kind regards,
{$editorialContactSignature}

“{$submissionTitle}”

{$submissionAbstract}

The error occurs after the following steps:

1. Editorial stage: Workflow>Review>Round 2
  2. Action: clicking on ‘Add reviewer’ > ‘Select reviewer’ > ‘Add reviewer’
  3. Result: The reviewer receives an email with a Submission URL.
  4. Error: When clicking on the link, only a blank page appears.

We’re using OJS 3.3.0.13

Thanks for your help!

Hi @wwiese1,

Are you able to check your PHP error log and pinpoint any relevant error messages there? Please report back if you see any. Also, you might want to have a look at this issue here: Reviewer invitation email - username blank, and points to 404 page - #4 by jnoronha - to see if that might be the issue.

-Roger
PKP team

Hi @rcgillis,
Thanks for your reply! Is the PHP error log something I can access as an OJS user, or should I ask the IT service (who is taking care of the technical implementation)?
(The other issue seems to be different – if I understand correctly, they did not use the “{$submissionReviewUrl}” variable.)
With thanks,
Wanja

Hi @wwiese1,

It’s not accessible on your website, but rather within your hosted arrangement or server (if you have access to that). If accessing logs is not something you usually do, it’s likely best to ask your IT administrator.

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi Roger,
Thanks, the IT team is looking into it. I’ll post their reply as soon as I hear back from them.
Best,
Wanja

Hi @rcgillis,
Here’s the relevant part of the PHP error log:
[Tue May 02 09:27:12.868817 2023] [php:error] [pid 325] [client 172.18.0.6:55294] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Non-static method AccessKeyManager::generateKeyHash() cannot be called statically in /var/www/ojs/pages/reviewer/ReviewerHandler.inc.php:78\nStack trace:\ n#0 /var/www/ojs/pages/reviewer/ReviewerHandler.inc.php(38): ReviewerHandler->_validateAccessKey(Object(Request))\n#1 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRouter.inc.php(387): ReviewerHandler->authorize(Object(Request), Array, Array)\n#2 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/cor e/PKPPageRouter.inc.php(246): PKPRouter->_authorizeInitializeAndCallRequest(Array, Object(Request), Array, false)\n#3 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/Dispatcher.inc.php(144): PKPPageRouter->route(Object(Request))\n#4 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.in c.php(362): Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(Request))\n#5 /var/www/ojs/index.php(126): PKPApplication->execute()\n#6 {main}\n thrown in /var/www/ojs/pages/reviewer/ReviewerHandler.inc.php on line 78

(I should also add that the same problem occurs during the first round of reviews.)
Best wishes,
Wanja

Please update the OJS version to latest 3.3.0-14 for 3.3.0 as it should resolved the registered error in error log. Also with the latest version, unable to re-produce the original issue as the included link in the mail for reviewer work as it should .

Regards
PKP Team

Okay, thanks!
Best,
Wanja