OJS 3.3.0.10 intermittent stalling - unusable - 2 - Software Support

The topic I raised has been closed while I was travelling so I couldn’t respond on the same thread. So I’m raising a new thread. @asmecher responded to my original querie with “You are probably seeing the effects of MySQL table locks. Check the threads in the forum about InnoDB vs. MyISAM, and ensure that all tables are using the right storage engine”. I searched on the forums using the term “InnoDB vs. MyISAM stalling” and did not find anything useful. Could you suggest the right words I should search with to get the information you suggested I need?
Thanks

Hi @elhay,

The previous thread was here; we generally close inactive threads after a couple of weeks.

This is more of a MySQL question than an OJS question, so you might have better luck on e.g. StackOverflow. In a nutshell, though, MySQL usually supports two storage engines: InnoDB and MyISAM. MyISAM is older and used to be the default, but nowadays the default is InnoDB.

If your OJS installation has been upgraded a few times, and your MySQL was also upgraded over that time, it’s possible that your database may be stored using MyISAM, or even a mix of MyISAM and InnoDB. In those cases, it’s important to convert the database over to InnoDB.

Have a look e.g. at this Q&A:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3856435/how-to-convert-all-tables-from-myisam-into-innodb

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks very much. Checked the link you sent and will pass on the recommendations there to the folks who handle this.

Hi Alec

Looked into it. All the tables were InnoDB. We changed to MyISAM, but this made no difference. The system is still stalling.

Any other suggestions? We’re really desperate.

Thanks

Hi @elhay,

The database should be InnoDB, not MyISAM! Converting the other way will not help.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Any other suggestions?

Hello @elhay

What MySql version that your system using?
We found that mysql 8 has a performance bug event on its latest version, it is recommended to use Mysql 5 version.

Using MariaDB is also not an option because, in our experience, it also affects resources (100% use of 16 CPU resources when trying to show the list of the user although we have a limit to only 5 rows).

Regards
Hendra

Thanks. Will check that out.

This topic was automatically closed after 17 days. New replies are no longer allowed.