[OJS 3.2.1.4] Back issues stay loading for a long time

Hi,

When I go to the back issues tab in any of my magazines, it stays loading for many, many minutes before listing the back issues.

Hi @diegomejia07,

Do you have access to your PHP error logs and can post relevant output from those logs here? That might provide a clue as to what the issue is.

It might also be worth clearing caches (under admin settings) - but that’s not certain to resolve the issue.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

How many back issues are there in this journal?

Can you tell us if the database is on the same server as OJS or on a different server? I ask because we had performance issues in other areas of OJS that were resolved or minimized when the database is local.

Hi @rcgillis,

The following error is displayed

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getPublished() on null in /cache/t_compile/ad8495e4b9ac5b46519f7e408bb2c0f8a8ac0eb3^acf1fc671fe3149386beb488bd42d95154e9d6f3_0.app.frontendpagessearchAuthor.php:48\nStack trace:\n#0 /lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_template_resource_base.php(123): content_617b1a58804c82_97962440(Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))\n#1 /lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_template_compiled.php(114): Smarty_Template_Resource_Base->getRenderedTemplateCode(Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))\n#2 /lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_template.php(216): Smarty_Template_Compiled->render(Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))\n#3 /lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php(232): Smarty_Internal_Template->r in /cache/t_compile/ad8495e4b9ac5b46519f7e408bb2c0f8a8ac0eb3^acf1fc671fe3149386beb488bd42d95154e9d6f3_0.app.frontendpagessearchAuthor.php on line 48

But I don’t think that’s the error. Since the back issues are displayed, but they take too many minutes to display.

Hi @diegomejia07,

Thanks for sharing. I’ll ask some of our team members to have a look and see if they can offer suggestions when they are available.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

Hi @rcgillis,

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully I can find a solution to this problem, since back issues take too long to show up and that is not normal behavior.

Hi @rcgillis,

Has there been any solution or answer how can I solve this?

Thanks.

Hi @rcgillis,

Another thing that I have noticed is that when unscheduled or scheduled articles, they also take too long loading.

Hi @diegomejia07,

I have asked our team members to look at this post, but they have not yet been available to look at this, so we appreciate your patience. Please note that support on the PKP Community Forum is provided for free by PKP staff and community members. We are a small team and need to balance our time spent answering questions here on the Forum with our other work developing and maintaining our free and open source software and other services. We try our best but do not guarantee that every question will be answered or that every issue is resolved.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

Hi @diegomejia07,

Can you provide more information about your OJS instance, in particular, about asked above?

Also, can you check which resource is taking the most of loading time? e.g. in Google Chrome: Inspect network activity - Chrome for Developers

Hi @Vitaliy,

As for your questions:

• The OJS version that I have installed on my server is 3.2.1.4.

• This happens in all the magazines in my facility, not just one. In all of them it takes too long to fill out the previous numbers.

• The database is installed on the same server as my OJS installation.

• As you can see in the following image, there is a jquery that is taking too long to load the resources.

This looks very similar to this issue: Admin: Journal-Settings: 'Sections' tab loads over 60 seconds! - #13 by Commifreak, where the problem is also with the same JS request. There is an intermediate solution described by adding pagination to the page (below the linked comment).

I see also that the issue is already opened here: Issue grid slow on journals with very large issue lists · Issue #7051 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

Hi @Vitaliy,

I already applied the patch and made the aforementioned corrections, I improve a little but its load is still slow.

Hi @rcgillis, @Vitaliy,

What could I do or what patch can I apply for my version 3.2.1.4 of OJS, which will allow me to improve and make loading and displaying back issues faster.