OJS 3.1.2 - can't schedule article for publication

Hi,

When i try to submit “schedule for publication” form i get spinner in a loop. I also see an error in a debug console: “Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)” and more “{“status”:false,“content”:“A workflow stage was not specified.”,“elementId”:“0”,“events”:null}”.

I also get: “http:/site.com/index.php/GC/$$$call$$$/tab/issue-entry/issue-entry-tab/save-publication-metadata-form 500 (Internal Server Error)”

Any clues how to solve this? Thx.

EDIT: I see now that there is a same problem in this thread but without solution Schedule for publication unable to save OJS 3.1.2

@asmecher can you help?

regards.

Hi @orcalator,

As with the other thread, there should be something further in the PHP error log. To keep the forum organized, I’d suggest continuing on the other thread with that information.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

From experience, I learned that, the entire process of an article must be completed, including the copyediting and production before publication to a specific issue. If a step is missing, it hangs.

Ok, similar to the problem where saving metadata was not possible because of OpenAir plugin (see post After update to 3.1.2 the new submission not saved the metadata - #4 by Anuj_Mittal) i found out that here problem lies in ORCID plugin. After i disabled that plugin all works fine.

EDIT: i installed new version of ORCID plugin compatible with OJS 3.1.2 so i hope this will work now.

Regards.

Hi,

My website showed the following error: ‘An unexpected error occurred. You may have been logged out. Please reload the page and try again.’

imagen

This is what apache logs showed:

“PUT /index.php/margenes/api/v1/submissions/1029/publications/867/publish HTTP/1.1” 500 903 “https://x.x.x.x/index.php/margenes/workflow/index/1029/5

“GET /lib/pkp/lib/vendor/tinymce/tinymce/skins/lightgray/skin.min.css.map HTTP/1.1” 404 3762 “-”

I disabled ORCID plugin and installed allowmethods module too, but it didn’t work.

OJS 3.2.0-2
Apache/2.4.25 (Debian)
PHP 7.3.11-1~deb10u1 (cli)

Regards,
Yassiel

I read An unexpected error occurred. You may have been logged out. Please reload the page and try again - #27 by Farhan_Abbas and this post, but i couldn’t resolve it.

Hi @yassiel,

Check your PHP error log for details; a 500 response code should correspond to an error in your log.

It’s likely that this has already been fixed by OJS 3.2.0-3; you might try upgrading.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I am getting the same error but my webserver is IIS and the issue at my end is that PUT command is being denied by my webserver. I tried many solutions but have not been successful so far. Internal Server Error mostly occurs when we have a bad configuration or request data.

Did you make any changes recently, I mean prior to this situation?
Regards,

Hi, @asmecher,

I updated to OJS 3.2.0-3, but there were some warnings:

/x/y# php tools/upgrade.php upgrade
PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant SCHEMA_PUBLICATION - assumed ‘SCHEMA_PUBLICATION’ (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /x/y/lib/pkp/includes/functions.inc.php on line 223
PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant SCHEMA_PUBLICATION - assumed ‘SCHEMA_PUBLICATION’ (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /x/y/lib/pkp/includes/functions.inc.php on line 223
PHP Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /x/y/classes/plugins/PubObjectsExportPlugin.inc.php on line 62
[pre-install]
[load: upgrade.xml]
[version: 3.2.0.3]

[code: Installer Installer::checkPhpVersion]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/common.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/log.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/announcements.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/scheduledTasks.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/temporaryFiles.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/metadata.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/reviews.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/reviewForms.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/controlledVocab.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/submissions.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/submissionFiles.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/categories.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/notes.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/genres.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/tombstone.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/rolesAndUserGroups.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/metrics.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/views.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/libraryFiles.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/navigationMenus.xml]
[schema: dbscripts/xml/ojs_schema.xml]
[data: dbscripts/xml/indexes.xml]

[code: Installer Installer::installDefaultNavigationMenus]
WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 1, Title: User Navigation Menu, Area: user) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 1, Title: Primary Navigation Menu, Area: primary) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 3, Title: User Navigation Menu, Area: user) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 3, Title: Primary Navigation Menu, Area: primary) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 0, Title: User Navigation Menu, Area: user) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.

[code: Installer Installer::migrateStaticPagesToNavigationMenuItems]

[code: Installer Installer::addPluginVersions]
[post-install]
Successfully upgraded to version 3.2.0.3

Later, i checked apache logs, after it had showed me the same error:

[Tue May 05 14:53:33.598177 2020] [php7:warn] [pid 902] [client 29.30.31.32:51954] PHP Warning: file_put_contents(/x/y/cache/fc-pluginSettings-0-defaultthemeplugin.php): failed to open stream: Permiso denegado in /x/y/lib/pkp/classes/cache/FileCache.inc.php on line 90, referer: https://a.b.c.d/index.php/index/admin/settings
[Tue May 05 14:53:57.317790 2020] [php7:notice] [pid 909] [client 29.30.31.33:64304] Slim Application Error:\nType: Exception\nMessage: DB Error: Illegal mix of collations (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation ‘=’ Query: SELECT\ti.\n\t\t\tFROM\tissues i,\n\t\t\t\tsubmissions a\n\t\t\tLEFT JOIN publications p ON (p.publication_id = a.current_publication_id)\n\t\t\tLEFT JOIN publication_settings ps ON (ps.publication_id = p.publication_id)\n\t\t\tWHERE\tps.setting_name = ? AND ps.setting_value = CAST(i.issue_id as CHAR) AND\n\t\t\t\ta.submission_id = ? AND\n\t\t\t\ta.context_id = i.journal_id\nFile: /x/y/lib/pkp/classes/db/DAO.inc.php\nLine: 703\nTrace: #0 /x/y/lib/pkp/classes/db/DAO.inc.php(103): DAO->handleError(Object(ADODB_mysqli), 'SELECT\ti.\n\t\t\tF…’)\n#1 /x/y/classes/issue/IssueDAO.inc.php(560): DAO->retrieve(‘SELECT\ti.*\n\t\t\tF…’, Array)\n#2 /x/y/classes/submission/Submission.inc.php(86): IssueDAO->getBySubmissionId(1029)\n#3 /x/y/lib/pkp/classes/services/PKPPublicationService.inc.php(572): Submission->_getContextLicenseFieldValue(NULL, 3, Object(Publication))\n#4 /x/y/lib/pkp/api/v1/submissions/PKPSubmissionHandler.inc.php(743): PKP\Services\PKPPublicationService->publish(Object(Publication))\n#5 [internal function]: PKPSubmissionHandler->publishPublication(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Array)\n#6 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Handlers/Strategies/RequestResponse.php(40): call_user_func(Array, Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Array)\n#7 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Route.php(281): Slim\Handlers\Strategies\RequestResponse->__invoke(Array, Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Array)\n#8 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(117): Slim\Route->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))\n#9 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Route.php(268): Slim\Route->callMiddlewareStack(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))\n#10 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(503): Slim\Route->run(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))\n#11 /x/y/lib/pkp/classes/security/authorization/internal/ApiAuthorizationMiddleware.inc.php(76): Slim\App->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))\n#12 [internal function]: ApiAuthorizationMiddleware->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Slim\App))\n#13 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(57): call_user_func_array(Object(ApiAuthorizationMiddleware), Array)\n#14 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Slim\App))\n#15 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Slim\App))\n#16 /x/y/lib/pkp/classes/security/authorization/internal/ApiCsrfMiddleware.inc.php(46): Slim\App->Slim\{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))\n#17 [internal function]: ApiCsrfMiddleware->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#18 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(57): call_user_func_array(Object(ApiCsrfMiddleware), Array)\n#19 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#20 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#21 /x/y/lib/pkp/classes/security/authorization/internal/ApiTokenDecodingMiddleware.inc.php(82): Slim\App->Slim\{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))\n#22 [internal function]: ApiTokenDecodingMiddleware->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#23 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(57): call_user_func_array(Object(ApiTokenDecodingMiddleware), Array)\n#24 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#25 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#26 /x/y/lib/pkp/classes/handler/APIHandler.inc.php(68): Slim\App->Slim\{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))\n#27 [internal function]: APIHandler->{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#28 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(57): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)\n#29 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#30 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#31 /x/y/lib/pkp/classes/handler/APIHandler.inc.php(127): Slim\App->Slim\{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))\n#32 [internal function]: APIHandler->{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#33 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(57): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)\n#34 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#35 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#36 /x/y/lib/pkp/classes/handler/APIHandler.inc.php(132): Slim\App->Slim\{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))\n#37 [internal function]: APIHandler->{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#38 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(57): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)\n#39 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#40 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#41 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(117): Slim\App->Slim\{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))\n#42 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(392): Slim\App->callMiddlewareStack(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))\n#43 /x/y/lib/pkp/classes/handler/APIHandler.inc.php(124): Slim\App->process(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))\n#44 [internal function]: APIHandler->{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#45 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(57): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)\n#46 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#47 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#48 /x/y/lib/pkp/classes/handler/APIHandler.inc.php(132): Slim\App->Slim\{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))\n#49 [internal function]: APIHandler->{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))\n#50 /x/y/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(57): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)\n#51 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Obj

Regards,
Yassiel

Hi @yassiel,

I can see at least a couple of issues here that need attention:

[Tue May 05 14:53:33.598177 2020] [php7:warn] [pid 902] [client 29.30.31.32:51954] PHP Warning: file_put_contents(/x/y/cache/fc-pluginSettings-0-defaultthemeplugin.php): failed to open stream: Permiso denegado in /x/y/lib/pkp/classes/cache/FileCache.inc.php on line 90, referer: https://a.b.c.d/index.php/index/admin/settings

This shows a file permission problem in your cache directory; make sure those are set properly. There’s a post in the FAQ area of this forum on file permissions.

[Tue May 05 14:53:57.317790 2020] [php7:notice] [pid 909] [client 29.30.31.33:64304] Slim Application Error:\nType: Exception\nMessage: DB Error: Illegal mix of collations (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation ‘=’

When you prepared your database for upgrade, did you set the database’s default character set to UTF-8? I do this e.g. when I create the database:

CREATE DATABASE mydatabase DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8;

…but it can also be set afterwards; check your DBMS’s configuration documentation.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hey, how did you resolved this problem, this is exactly what I am facing now :slight_smile:

Hi @Zanete_Garanti,

There are at least a few problems discussed here, and it’s not clear which you’re referring to. I’d suggest following up on your other thread (Help please regards error - #2 by asmecher) with more detail. Generally it’s best not to post the same question in several places – it clutters the forum.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher