OJS 3.1.2.1 preview of future issue

We just installed 3.1.2.1 today and now the preview for the future issue is not displaying the pdf file for most of the 10 items we have scheduled for publication – today. The board has the controls for downloading but the area of the display where the pdf file should be showing remains black. None of the other features of that display are work. The download option does work.

I think it is a problem with the plug-in PDF.JS PDF Viewer. I unchecked it - the display is in my computer’s pdf viewer and not the plugin.

But there is still a reason why the PDF.JS PDF Viewer is not working with 3.1.2.1

Hi @tpre,

Try a hard refresh or another browser – it’s possible that old cached Javascript is causing this.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Tried both those tricks. I think it was the pdf viewer plugin with 3.1.2.1

Hi @tpre,

I’ve double-checked this on my local copy of OJS 3.1.2-1 and it seems to work fine. Can you check your PHP error log to see if any error messages show up there that might be related?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I will have to air until tomorrow when our administrator gets to work. I disabled the PDF plugin and was able to publish.
Diane D. Kester, PhD

Technology teaches you patience.

In your test, did you enable the plugin pdf.js PDF viewer and then try to preview a future issue that has a pdf file? On both our sandbox and our site, the
document will not display in the way it should. And prior to the installation of the 3.1.2.1 it displayed OK. Then it would not display within the tab. When I unchecked the plug-in and went back to preview the future issue, my default view (Adobe Acrobat)
displayed the article. Same in both the sandbox (testing URL) as well as in our new journal.

Now, with the plugin pdf.js PDF viewer selected, it tried to display the article in that viewer – and the navigation features of that viewer were displayed
– only the download option was functional.

Diane

Dr. Diane D. Kester, Associate Professor Emerita

Executive Editor,
Journal of Curriculum and Instruction

Production Editor,
Journal of Multilingual Education Research

Managing Editor,
Theory & Practice in Rural Education

Hi @tpre,

Yes, I was trying with the PDF.js plugin enabled and it worked as expected. Do you see anything conspicuous in your web browser’s error console when you try with the PDF.js plugin enabled?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I tried 3 browsers on my Win 7 and Safari on my Mac – all had the same problem and when I disabled that plugin, they worked.

I don’t know how to find the web browser’s error console.

Hi @tpre,

There are some instructions under Step 3 of Using Your Browser to Diagnose JavaScript Errors | WordPress.org. (The page is about Wordpress, not OJS, but that part of the guide applies generally.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Try this.

In your future issues, upload a new pdf in one of the items you have and then see if it will preview correctly.

Hi @tpre,

Yes, I tried that, and it works as expected. Did anything show up in your browser’s error console or the PHP error log?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Working on it…

Now I’m having another problem trying to use the CrossRef XML Export Plugin. I only gave me 4 of the 10 articles to deposit. Those 4 are “active” . How do
I get the other 6 to show up to deposit? Doing a search on the export screen didn’t bring them up.

Hi @tpre,

Could you post this new question under its own topic in the forum? That’ll help keep the discussion from getting cluttered.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

OK.

The browser says:

PDF.js v2.0.943 (build: dc98bf76)

I had him upload a new file and he got this…

Nick says…

Seems to be intermittent because a moment later I tried and it appeared error free.

New problem.

When I go to look at the metadata I get code … how do I get the display back?

Chrome –

{“status”:true,“content”:"\n<script type=“text/javascript”>\n\t$(function() {\n\t\t// Attach the form handler.\n\t\t$(’#submissionMetadataViewForm-5cf587c2904c7’).pkpHandler(\n\t\t\t’$.pkp.controllers.form.FileUploadFormHandler’,\n\t\t\t{\n\t\t\t\treadOnly:
null,\n\t\t\t\t$uploader: $(’#coverImageUploader’),\n\t\t\t\t$preview: $(’#coverImagePreview’),\n\t\t\t\tuploaderOptions: {\n\t\t\t\t\tuploadUrl: “http:\/\/tpre.ecu.edu\/index.php\/tpre\/$$$call$$$\/tab\/issue-entry\/issue-entry-tab\/upload-cover-image”,\n\t\t\t\t\tbaseUrl:
“http:\/\/tpre.ecu.edu”,\n\t\t\t\t\tfilters: {\n\t\t\t\t\t\tmime_types : [\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t{ title : “Image files”, extensions : “jpg,jpeg,png,svg” }\n\t\t\t\t\t\t]\n\t\t\t\t\t},\n\t\t\t\t\tmultipart_params: {\n\t\t\t\t\t\tsubmissionId: 20,\n\t\t\t\t\t\tstageId:
5,\t\t\t\t\t}\n\t\t\t\t}\n\t\t\t}\n\t\t);\n\t});\n</script>\n\n<form class=“pkp_form” id=“submissionMetadataViewForm-5cf587c2904c7” method=“post” action=“http://tpre.ecu.edu/index.php/tpre/$$$call$$$/tab/issue-entry/issue-entry-tab/save-form”>\n\t<input
type=“hidden” name=“csrfToken” value=“c4fe4eb47a137a1bed7d231f2c1d796b”>\n\t\t\n\t$(function() {\n\t\t// Attach the form handler.\n\t\t$(’#submissionMetadataViewFormNotification-5cf587c29051c’).pkpHandler(’$.pkp.controllers.NotificationHandler’,\n\t\t{\n\t\t\tfetchNotificationUrl:

I tried to follow the instructions as directed below. Now I have a screen of code and cannot get it to display. I must have clicked on something while in
“inspect” view and can’t get back to displaying the page.

Each of the 3 options in the meta data are now showing pkp code and I’m not a code person.

Sorry, but I tried to edit the identifies because they were not displaying on the published page. I dug the hole deeper…

Thank you for anything you can do to help here.

{“status”:true,“content”:"<a href="#" class=“requestHelpPanel pkp_help_link pkp_help_tab” data-topic=“issue-management.md#edit-issue-identifiers”>\n\t<span class=“fa
fa-info-circle pkpIcon–inline” aria-hidden=“true”></span>\n\t\t\tHelp\n\t</a>\n\n\n\t$(function() {\n\t\t// Attach the form handler.\n\t\t$(’#publicIdentifiersForm’).pkpHandler(\n\t\t\t’$.pkp.controllers.form.AjaxFormHandler’,\n\t\t\t{\n\t\t\t\ttrackFormChanges:
true\n\t\t\t}\n\t\t);\n\t});\n</script>\n\t<form class=“pkp_form” id=“publicIdentifiersForm” method=“post” action=“http://tpre.ecu.edu/index.php/tpre/$$$call$$$/tab/issue-entry/issue-entry-tab/update-identifiers”>\n\t\t\n\t$(function()
{\n\t\t// Attach the form handler.\n\t\t$(’#publicationIdentifiersFormFieldsNotification’).pkpHandler(’$.pkp.controllers.NotificationHandler’,\n\t\t{\n\t\t\tfetchNotificationUrl: “http:\/\/tpre.ecu.edu\/index.php\/tpre\/notification\/fetchNotification”,\nhasSystemNotifications:
null\n\t\t});\n\t});\n</script>\n<div id=“publicationIdentifiersFormFieldsNotification” class="pkp_notification ">