OJS 3.1.1-2 comment for the editor not showing

Hi,
After upgrading from 3.0.2 to 3.1.1-2 we experience that when an author enters „comments for the editor“ (when submitting an article), the assigned section editor cannot see these comments in his article view. This seems to be a bug?

Thanks for looking into this
Regards
Sabrina

Hi @sabrinaeck

I’ve just tested it with my local installation and I do see the comments in the grid “Pre-Review Discussions”. Where did you look? Do you have anything in your “Pre-Review Discussions” grid?

Best,
Bozana

Hi @bozana,

here are some screenshots from our installation to show you:

View: Author Submission
grafik

View: Author Stage Submission
grafik

View: Dashboard Section Editor
grafik

View: Section Editor Stage Submission
grafik

Hope this helps?
Thanks Sabrina

Hi @sabrinaeck

Yes, I see the comments in your second screenshot above: in the “Pre-Review Discussions” grid > Comments for the Editor.

Best,
Bozana

Hi @bozana,

yes, that is what I wanted to describe. The author does see his own comments but the editor who is the addressee cannot see that there are any comments for him in his view of the article (screenshot 4: pre-review discussion “no items” is displayed).
This feature is heavily used in our journal.

Hope you can fix it, thanks
Sabrina

Hi @sabrinaeck

Hmmm… I think I do not understand :frowning: – in your second screen shot there is the comment, so that I do not understand what exactly do you mean,

Best,
Bozana

@bozana, I think this change is the reason Section Editor assigned as an Author (only) can access discussions that they are not participants in · Issue #3666 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub (did not really like that change…)

Hi @bozana,

the second screen is the authors view on the article (to show you, that there are comments entered). screen 3 and 4 show the article view of the editor in this article. There is no “pre-review discussion” item.

This sounds better?
Sabrina

Ah, OK, now I see…
Thanks @sabrinaeck and @ajnyga!

Hi @bozana,

do you think there will be a solution to solve this or do we have to install a workaround?

Thanks
Sabrina

Hi @sabrinaeck

There will surely be a solution, as proposed here: Section editors can not access comments to editor discussion · Issue #3910 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub. But it seems like no easy fix i.e. it could take some time… Hmmm… Let me see what I can do…

Best,
Bozana

Hello there,

I guess this can be related with the same issue, that’s why I don’t open a new thread.

We have recently noticed (in OJS 3.1.2.1) that the pre-review discussion “Comment for the Editor” generated at submission time is visible for Journal Editors but not for Section Editors. They should be able to see it. “Roles” seem to be ok. Section Editors have access to the submission stage.

Any clues of what is happening?

Thanks,
Ezequiel