OJS 3.0.2 download file size disparity

The OJS download page says 18 MB for the Download OJS 3.0.2 (.tar.gz), but the actual download has only 17 MB. Is 18 MB a typo?

Hi @kksabu,

On my Linux machine:

$ du -m ojs-3.0.2.tar.gz 
18	ojs-3.0.2.tar.gz

…thus the file (with the same byte size) is reported 18M over here. I suspect the two tools round differently.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I too got 18 MB when I test it in Ubuntu, but the actual byte size is different. Please see the screenshot.

Hi @kksabu,

Do you mean the difference between “Size” and “Size on disk” in your Windows screenshot? That’s an operating system consideration.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Actually my concern is that in the OJS download page, download size is 18 MB. But when I download it is only ~17 MB. See the image…

There are a number of considerations in calculating file sizes in “megabytes”. Two in play here are:

• the difference of whether you are counting in binary (1 KB = 1024 B, 1 MB = 1024 KB) or decimal (1 KB = 1000 B, 1 MB = 1000 KB)
  • the difference in the disk block usage (usually in blocks of 1 “MB”, but context-dependent)

See: https://linux.die.net/man/1/du

Display values are in units of the first available SIZE from --block-size, and the DU_BLOCK_SIZE, BLOCK_SIZE and BLOCKSIZE environment variables. Otherwise, units default to 1024 bytes (or 512 if POSIXLY_CORRECT is set).

SIZE may be (or may be an integer optionally followed by) one of following: KB 1000, K 1024, MB 10001000, M 10241024, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y.

What you are seeing is expected. What really counts is the actual bytecount (and checksum).