OJS 3.0.2.0 Wording Change

Hi, for certain reasons one of our journals wants to change the wording of ‘abstract’ to ‘summary’ on their journal. My colleagues can easily change this on the public facing webpage but we’re having trouble working out how to change the wording of ‘abstract’ when it appears on the back end,
for example - when the author submits and has to complete an abstract
article metadata
reviewer request page

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

1 Like

Hi @Tuwpub,

The “Abstract” wording appears in a number of places. When I’m trying to change wording, I typically use grep a lot – if you’re not familiar, it’s a handy search tool. For example, I can run…

grep -l -i abstract locale/en_US/*.xml lib/pkp/locale/en_US/*.xml

…which gives me…

locale/en_US/author.xml
locale/en_US/emailTemplates.xml
locale/en_US/locale.xml
locale/en_US/manager.xml
locale/en_US/submission.xml
lib/pkp/locale/en_US/bic21subjects.xml
lib/pkp/locale/en_US/common.xml
lib/pkp/locale/en_US/reader.xml
lib/pkp/locale/en_US/submission.xml

Then you can look through these for likely keys to try changing.

If you’re working on a development installation, one way to quickly check what locale key of many is the one you’re looking for is to create a fictitious language in registry/locales.xml, install it into your journal, then try switching to it. Because there are no locale keys, the key names will be ##displayed.like.this##. Then you know exactly what you’re looking for.

Note that changing the built-in locale files isn’t always the best approach – it’ll affect every journal on your installation. If that’s not what you want, there’s also the Custom Locale plugin; note that this is currently a work in progress.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like