OJS 3.0.2.0 - User edit form does not load completely

We have just upgraded to Version 3.0.2 (from 3.0.1) and encountered a strange problem. There are currently three journals in our installation and my role is journal manager for all of them. After the upgrade, the user edit form is only loading completely for one of the journals. For the others, the part for assigning roles is missing (see screenshot below)

Any ideas what happened to our installation?

Thank you.

Hi @cgermann,

Check your PHP error log for details.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi asmecher,

the issue has been solved. There was a problem with the upgrade. Some files were missing or incomplete.
Our IT department told me, that it was a PostgreSQL problem.

Regards,
Christine

We have the same issue with our recent upgrade to OJS 3.0.2 from OJS 2.4. The user edit form works on all journals except one, the “user role” section is always loading for that journal, we couldn’t add new users or editing existing users for that reason too.

We are using MySQL database, I have rows of unserialize() error in php.errror.log.
Notice: unserialize(): Error at offset 312 of 317 bytes in /apps/ojs-3.0.2/lib/pkp/classes/db/DAO.inc.php on line 347

Any ideas where went wrong? How do I troubleshoot and fix the problem? Thanks!

Tao

Hi @yout,

Check to make sure you didn’t inadvertently change your character set / encoding settings in config.inc.php in the process of upgrading.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

@asmecher,

Thanks for getting back to me. Someone else did the upgrade and I don’t have access to the old setting file. I checked our dev server, which is working properly. The encoding part in the
config.ini.php file is like this:

Blockquote
client_charset = utf-8
connection_charset = off
database_charset = utf-8

Copied over to production, still not working.

Thanks!

Tao

Hi @yout,

The ideal settings for these are

client_charset = utf-8
connection_charset = utf8
database_charset = utf8

Note the differences between utf-8 and utf8 – these are intentional. I’m not sure where database_charset = utf-8 came from, but it’s definitely invalid.

If you’re not using the settings above, then you may have to transcode your database to get its character set into a proper UTF-8 form. I’m afraid that’s more of a database administration issue than an OJS dev issue and as such is outside the scope of this forum.

Regards,
Alec Smecher