OJS 2.4.8 lossed everything from Godaddy, only Database recovered

I was using OJS 2.4.8, it was hosted at godaddy, and the Cpanel got reset and losses everything, even godaddy could not recovered anything except the database.

So Now I am in a process to install OJS 3.1.1-4 with the recovered database. I tried to import the database to godaddy and it was unsucessful with the attached message ( #1044 - Access denied for user ‘…’@ ’ localhost’ to database ‘jer248’) .ERROR

Anyone can help me on this ?

Also, DO I need to make any changes when I try to use this database with OJS 3.1.1-4 version ?

Thank you.

Unfortunately, you will probably not be able to just plug the 2.x database into a 3.x codebase. There is a document on how to run the upgrade script which will make the necessary database modifications for you - save a backup copy before starting the upgrade: https://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/UPGRADE

The sql error from your screenshot says that the sql user os not allowed to access/create the database. You might need to grant the necessary rights to that user, or simply create the database and user from the admin ui and then uncheck the box saying “create database” in the ojs installer.

If you only have the database, and are missing the contents of the directory you configured as the “files_dir” you will be missing the article submission files and review files. Even if you copy a clean OJS install and use your recovered database, you need a way to recover these files. The files are not stored in the database.

Thank you for the reply.

I can manage with the files, but the problem is that I am unable to update the database from OJS 2.4.8 to 3.1.1-4. We tried in both ways through CLI and Web and it go unsuccessful.

Can you give a solution to update the database from 2.4.8 to 3.1.1.4 ?

Thank you

The upgrade from 2.x to 3.x is very closely tied to re-arranging the submission files in files_dir. If you are able to restore the files_dir and database to a working 2.4.x state, I would expect the upgrade to work. Without a working 2.4.x install, an upgrade to 3.x is unlikely to be successful.

The error you referenced earlier (Access denied for user) indicates a problem with the database permissions. Were you able to resolve that?

Thank you for the quick response,

I could make the OJS 2.4.8 work with the current database without “files_dir”. Only issue is that when I click on the files, it wont download the files that are missing in the directory. Also the OJS is too slow as it was before ( that’s why I planned for upgrade before).

I can get the files for the current active submissions and published items.

So, Now I gave preference to upgrade the database with the latest version of OJS.

Is there any problem if all the files are not present in the files directory during the upgrade ?

The upgrade from 2.x. to 3.x is deeply dependent on both the files and the database. I would not expect it to be successful with only the database.