[OJS 2.4.8] Issue with a plugin after migration

Hey everyone,

I migrated my OJS installation from 2.4.2 to 2.4.8.1. However one of the plugins stopped showing in the sidebar - it works fine on my local version. The plugin is visible in the ‘looks’ pane and block plugins list, however with no translation (only the translation key is visible). When I go into plugin settings I get the settings from the proper plugin, they get saved to the database.

My question is this: what could go wrong? I’m not entirely familiar with how OJS handles plugins, the code itself is fine (since it works on my local machine with the exact same codebase) so I guess that’s some cache/db related issue? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Hi @Looted,

It sounds like the plugin isn’t properly registered with the system. Is this a custom plugin you’ve written, or something else?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hey @asmecher,

it’s popular articles plugin (GitHub - beghelli/popularArticles: Plugin that lists most popular articles (OJS 2.4.5)), with the single change of removing call time pass by references. The plugin does work and display correctly on my dev environment, only production seems to have that problem.

I’ll try to look into the registration process, but If you have any suggestions, I’ll be happy to hear them. I don’t know OJS that well so any help will speed up the process for me.

EDIT:
I found something - in the files\temp directory there is an older version of the plugin cached. That might be the issue.

EDIT2:
Cleared the temp directory, didn’t help unfortunately.

Best regards,
Piotr Franczyk

Hi @Looted,

How did you install the plugin?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hey @asmecher,

I just copied it to the block plugins directory. Server permissions don’t allow me to install plugins through the web app (that’s something I don’t have control over unfortunately). I could do necessary procedures by hand if I knew what needs to be done, or what’s the issue.

Best regards,
Piotr Franczyk

Hi @Looted,

Just copying the plugin into place won’t properly register the plugin with the system. If you can’t use the web-based installer or run the upgrade script in order to register the plugin with the system, you’ll need to manually insert an entry for the plugin in the versions table.

Regards,
Alec Smecher