(OJS 2.4.8.0) Reviewer unable to download Submission Manuscript

Hello,

The reviewer has indicated that they will undertake the review, however, when they click the Submission Manuscript file, the page just refreshes and nothing is downloaded.
What could be the issue and how can this be fixed?

Thank you.

48%20PM

Hi @kathy,

Is this only happening for one reviewer, on one submission or for all reviewers, on all submissions? Is this a new install or recent upgrade of OJS?

Thanks,
Amanda Stevens
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @astevens ,

We only have two articles up for review right now and this issue is only happening with one of the submissions. There is only one reviewer attached to that submission.
The only difference I can see is that the submission that doesn’t work was submitted as a .doc file. The submission that does work is a .docx file.

We haven’t recently upgraded OJS. We are still using version 2.4.8.0.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Kathy

Hi @kathy,

Both .doc and .docx files can be used for submissions in OJS. I recommend doing some troubleshooting to find out if it’s a problem with the reviewer, the reviewer’s user account, the file, file permissions, or the submission. Here are some things you can check.

If the reviewer is reporting this problem and you haven’t tested it yourself, there could be an issue where they don’t understand how to access files that have been downloaded through their browser or they don’t have software configured to open .doc files. If you haven’t done this already, I would try logging in as the reviewer (which you can do by going to their user account and clicking “login as”) and downloading the file yourself to make sure it can’t be accessed.

Under your own user account you could try downloading the file to see if you have any problems with it.

You could try uploading another .doc file to that submission and see if that file can be accessed.

You can check the user’s account and make sure all permissions are set correctly.

You could also check that folder permissions for your site are correct.

Good luck!
Amanda Stevens
Public Knowledge Project Team