OJS-2.4.7.1 PKP PLN Terms of use

Can someone please clarify this Terms of Use.
I agree to allow the PKP-PLN to make post-trigger event content available under the CC-BY (or current equivalent) license.
What is the post-trigger event?
What about a journal that is not under a license?

Thanks,
Edward

Hi Edward,

A trigger event is something that happens to move a journal’s content in the PKP PLN from the ‘dark’ archive of the LOCKSS boxes into the ‘bright’ so it can be accessed for use. We define two types of trigger events: 1) a journal manager contacts us and says “we are closing shop; please make our content available to end users”, and 2) automated detection that a journal has not deposited any content into the PLN will prompt someone from PKP to attempt to contact the journal manager to confirm whether the journal is still live or has died. If it has died, we will trigger its content to become bright. The term of use we are asking you to accept is your way of giving us permission in advance to expose your journal’s content to the reading public.

I am a bit puzzled why the terms of use you are seeing mention the CC-BY license; we removed that in October. The terms of use should have refreshed automatically, but can you click on the “Refresh” button in the PKP PLN plugin’s settings page to see if they change to not mention CC-BY?

Mark
PKP Team Member

Hi again Edward,

I’ve just confirmed that the older terms use that indicated CC-BY have been showing up unintentionally. We’re looking to resolve the problem. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Mark

Edward,

I’ve just updated the terms to the correct version. If you have already accepted the terms, next time you log in as journal manager you will receive a notification reminding you to re-accept the new ones.

Mark
PKP Team Member

A question about another term in the agreement: “I agree that the PKP-PLN reserves the right not to preserve or make content accessible.”

Can you provide further details? What are the reasons that PKP-PLN might not preserve or make content accessible? If this happens, do you notify journals in advance so an alternate arrangement could be made?

Thanks,
Nancy