OJS 2.4.6 and Lucene plugin

Hi,

I am experiencing problems with Lucene plugin after I moved to OJS 2.4.6.

On the Journal Sections page I am unable to make any changes because I get the error:

Errors occurred processing this form:
Please select a valid custom ranking weight.

while this option is set to Normal.

On the plugin settings page I am also unable to make any changes because I get the enigmatic error:
Errors occurred processing this form:
Invalid selection.

Additionally, the content of the PDFs (full texts) is not indexed. When I turn off the plugin the full text is being indexed.

I would appreciate any help.

Peter

Hi @piotreba,

Do you have a server environment capable of running Lucene/SOLR? Were you using the Lucene plugin in your previous version?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hey Alec,

yes have been using it for some time. The other installation of the OJS (2.4.5) which I manage handle it pretty well, although there is some issue with indexing full text along with ssl on (I was discussing it on the old forum, but no solution come up I think).

Peter

Hi @piotreba,

The Lucene plugin didn’t change between OJS 2.4.5 and 2.4.6, so I suspect something has changed with your deployment. The plugin settings form is a good place to start – the "Invalid selection error can be caused by a few fields…

• Autosuggest type
  • Any of the checkbox settings
  • Journals to re-index selection

When you try to save the form, the problem field should also be highlighted. Can you see if you can determine which of these is the problem?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

(Just a thought: this might be related to Strict ValidatorInSet type checking breaks subscription type creation · Issue #437 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub which you can correct by applying the patch at that URL. -A)

Hey Alec,

I applied the patch you recommended and it helped.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi, Alec

I have the same problem. Where can i find the Patch you are talking about?

Thanks
-Nader

Hi @nader,

The patch is here:
https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/commit/05fd160c27efc48f149ad2854e5ee97f41f7e3a2.diff

…but since we don’t distribute the tests with the package, you’ll need to ignore the test-related part of the patch.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi,

I did it. In the log file I get:

2015-09-29 15:02:30.140:INFO::jetty-6.1.26
2015-09-29 15:02:30.211:INFO::Extract file:/var/www/ojs-versions/ojs-2.4.6/plugins/generic/lucene/lib/apache-solr-3.6.2/example/webapps/solr.war to /tmp/Jetty_0_0_0_0_8983_solr.war__solr__k1kf17/webapp
2015-09-29 15:02:32.571:INFO::Started SocketConnector@0.0.0.0:8983

then Solr must runs and I can see it:

tcp 0 0 :::8983 :::* LISTEN 18016/java

but when I run:

php rebuildSearchIndex.php in the tools folder, I get:

Message: WARNING: strtotime(): It is not safe to rely on the system’s timezone settings. You are required to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected ‘Europe/Berlin’ for ‘CEST/2,0/DST’ instead
In file: /var/www/ojs-versions/ojs-2.4.6/plugins/generic/lucene/classes/SolrWebService.inc.php
At line: 1589
Stacktrace:
Server info:
PHP Version: 5.3.3
Apache Version: N/A
DB Driver: mysql
DB server version: 5.1.73

And in the end:
Unfortunately the OJS search service is currently offline.

Best regards
-Nader

Hi @nader,

Just to confirm, it sounds like you’ve got OJS working, but Lucene isn’t yet?

Perhaps @bozana can give you some hints on the Lucene part.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @nader,

Hmmm… What is your “Search Endpoint URL” from the lucene plugin settings? Per default it is “http://localhost:8983/solr/ojs/search” i.e Solr should in this case run on ‘localhost’. This is usually on 127.0.0.1, but in your logs there is 0.0.0.0 and in you netstat result also :::8983. Unfortunately, I don’t know what this means – did you wanted it to be so? I.e. could you ensure/test that the Solr is running on the endpoint URL entered/given in your plugin settings i.e. can you somehow cal the URL in the browser, like for example “http://localhost:8983/solr/ojs/admin/luke”?

Best!
Bozana

Hi Alec

I solved the problem. I rewrite the solr password and restart the webserver and jetty/solr.

Best regards
-Nader

Hi @nader ,

As part of the optimization of external search support for OJS, the PKP Technical Committee is looking for use cases and relevant experience with the Lucene/Solr plugin for OJS.

GitHub - ojsde/lucene: Plugin for Solr/Lucene support in OJS. or via Plugin-Gallery

We are going to organize a meeting with all the interested parties. If you are interested in sharing requirements, user experiences and use cases, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Dulip Withanage