OAI NLM and JATS

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to clarify some questions I have around OAI metadata formats in OJS 3. We had been using the NLM OAI (along with another script to get PDFs) for harvesting OJS journals to our Scholars Portal Journals platforms with OJS 2.x. I know this plugin isn’t currently in OJS 3.x, but I’ve seen that there’s a github issue for it. I see there isn’t a milestone assigned to it - do you have a sense of where this might be in your development priorities? I know you can’t guarantee a timeline of course!

My other question is about the JATS OAI. We noticed that the OAI XML is missing most of the fields, and I saw in the plugin page on github that it assumes the JATS already exists. Does this mean it’s not able to get the article-level metadata that’s already in the system out in a JATS xml format? And are there any alternatives that I might be missing?

Thanks again for your time, and for all of the great work that you do!

Hi @kaitlin,

The OAI JATS plugin (still in active development) is intended to be used in concert with Open Typesetting Stack (OTS) in order to replace the OJS 2.x NLM plugin, which really didn’t approach a proper use of the NLM plugin. OTS will take care of the automatic conversion from Word/ODT/PDF source documents into JATS XML; then the OAI JATS plugin will make that available via OAI.

Are you interested in using these tools to feed Erudit for indexing?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

We’re interested in using these tools to harvest OJS journals to the Scholars Portal Journals platform. We had been using a combination of the OAI NLM XML and a script to harvest article PDFs. I don’t know all of the history, but I believe it was originally done this way in connection with the Synergies project; however, we continue to get new journals that would like their content loaded and preserved in our platform.

Hi @kaitlin,

I originally wrote the NLM plugin for the Synergies project, but otherwise I’m not familiar with that workflow.

However, if your end goal is to get JATS content into the OAI interface, a combination of OTS (with the OJS OTS plugin to integrate it) and the OAI JATS plugin should do it. The quality of JATS XML will be much, much improved over the OJS 2.x NLM format.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team