nonLDAP users cannot log in when LDAP is enabled

Hello,

I would like to allow non-institutional users to register and log-in on my OJS web site. When they get registered, they can’t login because their credentials are not recognized (LDAP users have no problem). I do not care to have a single sign on system. Any idea?

Thank you in advance.

Hi @an75824,

When the LDAP plugin is set up, whenever a user registers in OJS, it should attempt to create an LDAP account. Has your LDAP server been configured to disallow that?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hello and thank you very much for your reply. Well, I have seen that option but I do not want the non-institutional users to be able to access my institutional pages. Can I redirect non-institutional users to OJS database for authentication? :confused:

Hi @an75824,

I don’t believe so, not without modifying OJS. Are you looking for a way to manage subscriptions through your institutional database, but to have users (e.g. editors, authors, etc.) managed within the OJS database? If so, maybe Shibboleth is a better solution than LDAP.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

For 3.0, I think this question might be generalized to whether thought is being given to multitier, pluggable authentication. For example, I’ve heard of desires for authentication via:

• local accounts
  • Shibboleth
  • LDAP
  • OAuth (such as ORCID)

All of these could potentially live side-by-side in a single instance.

Thank you both for your valuable contribution. What I would like to have is not only authors etc but phd students (from my institution or from another) that can also get register with my OJS and access the publications. What if those students can’t use Shibboleth/openAthens etc? Anyway, it seems that I can’t solve the problem right now. Thank you!

I agree that there should be the option for a hierarchical or parallel authentication options.

One benefit to the Shibboleth plugin is that it can now stand in parallel to the native OJS login: