No new COUNTER stats after 2.4.7.1

I had COUNTER stas working up to 2.4.6.0. When I updated via patch (the same method I used on previous updates) to 2.4.7.1 on november 2015, the COUNTER stats stoped being reported from that date onward (but it shows fine from all previous months).

The metrics are being collected (they are in the metrics table) and the usageStats are still being processed daily, it just doesn’t compute any views after november. Why is that?

Hi @luizborges,

I am not sure what you meant by the COUNTER stats. There is no COUNTER stats anymore in OJS. The old COUNTER plugin is not counting anything anymore and it’s just a report plugin that uses the new statistics data collected by the system to produce a COUNTER report.

So, with that in mind, you’re saying that your COUNTER report is not giving you any stats after the upgrade? Can you retrieve the statistics from the time range you want using another report plugin, like the timed views or the custom report generator, for example?

Cheers,
Bruno

Yes, this is what I meant. If I go to the COUNTER Reports it only shows up to 2015 and this report only shows up to november.
In the Report Generator (from january 2016) I get 0 results in “Article File Downloads”, “Issue File Downloads”, but I get normal results in “Article abstract page views”, “Issue table contents page views” and “Journal main page views”.

So it seems that the downloads are not being reported…

EDIT: Just check all the usage_events_XXXXXXXX.log. I don’t have any records from URLs like “http://domain/journal/article/download/####/####” after the update to 2.4.7.1, so it is definitly not recording downloads from articles and issues. Could it be an error in a patch or is it a bug?

Hi @luizborges,

That’s it. That’s definitely a bug and it was fixed by this commit: pkp/pkp-lib#847: retrieved needed information before post download ho… · pkp/ojs@3f0b0e9 · GitHub

I recommend you to apply these patches:

That way you get all the bug fixes for that version in particular.

Related to your missed statistics, you can still have it using your apache log files. Please, read this documentation to understand how to process them: https://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php?title=PKP_Statistics_Framework#External_access_log_files_alternative

Let me know if you have any problem and I can try to help.

Cheers,
Bruno

I’m trying to apply the patch but it is failing here:

--------------------------
|diff --git a/lib/pkp b/lib/pkp
|index 724f1a8..d94de60 160000
|--- a/lib/pkp
|+++ b/lib/pkp
--------------------------
patch: **** lib/pkp is not a normal file--can't patch

I’m on FreeBSD and I’m using the -p1 option. Any tips?

@luizborges,

Don’t worry about that fail. It’s just the pkp library submodule hash that we keep track on the ojs repository. You can skip that.

Cheers,
Bruno