New version of the Slider Home Plugin for OJS/OMP 3.3 available

Dear OJS community,

we are happy to announce that a new version of the Slider Home Plugin for OJS/OMP is available.

This plugin integrates an image slider with text-overlay option into the OJS/OMP home page.
New features include an improved image upload providing Alt-text and an option to add a copyright notice to the bottom of the slider pictures.

The new version can be downloaded from Github:
https://github.com/cedis-epublishing/sliderHome/releases/tag/v2.3.1.0

An example of a journal using the plugin can be found here.

Regards,
your OJS Team at the University Library
FU Berlin

11 Likes

Dear @ronste1

What a very interesting plugin! I have visited the journal homepage, and found the plugin working well.

As a showcase, I have a different usage of the pictures. In the galleys, we published some pictured-table of the full-text, but found it only able to download, not showed up. Here is the example.

Is this plugin able to extend its funtion in for image based galley?

Thank you so much!

Regards,
Rafiq

Publisher Staff of Poltekkes Kemenkes Kendari

Dear Rafiq,

as far as I understand you have an issue with you table 1 on the galley publication page.

I find your idea of a slider to show galley images generally appealing. However, this would be a completely different plugin. And I unfortunately donā€™t have the time to play around with things like that.

Apart from this, to me your issue with the table display seem to be related to an inconsistent way of putting an image into a table tag. Your HTML table doesnā€™t have any content, only a caption. I presume you generate the HTML from your XML. The XML contains a table-warp element with a graphics object. This then seems to get lost in the conversion process.
If you use an image for a table (for whatever reason) you also should tag it as an image in your XML but use ā€œTableā€ as label for your image. It then should correctly be converted to HTML as an image and not as a table.

Best wishes,
Ronald

Sooo nice @ronste1

And it plays nicely on small devices too.

Thanks a lot for sharing,
m.

1 Like

Dear @ronste1,

in which plugin folder need to be installed? I did it in Generic (ojs was blocked), in Block plugin (nothing happened). How and where the picture can be added? Could we received more information and instruction?

Regards,
Lazar

Dear @Lazar_Stosic ,

instructions on installation and usage can be found in the README.md file within the repo.

It is a generic plugin. If you install it by cloning the repo take care that you 1) checkout the correct branch and 2) run the lib/pkp/tools/installPluginVersion.php script.

Regards,
Ronald

Thanks for the plugin.
I tried it in OJS 3.3.0.8 version.
The plugin was successfully installed.
I activated it. The plugin ā€œSlider Home Pluginā€ has been enabled.
When I come to the settings page (Appearance - Slider Plugin), the ā€œLoadingā€ message returns and never ends.

Screenshot:

php error code:

[Sat Jun 11 19:51:10.289725 2022] [fcgid:warn] [pid 30605:tid 139923331966720] [client 88.239.141.122:54073] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Fatal error: Uncaught PDOException: SQLSTATE[42S02]: Base table or view not found: 1146 Table ā€˜__________.sliderā€™ doesnā€™t exist in ________lib/pkp/lib/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOConnection.php:78, referer: ___________index.php/dergi/management/settings/website

[Sat Jun 11 19:51:10.289780 2022] [fcgid:warn] [pid 30605:tid 139923331966720] [client 88.239.141.122:54073] mod_fcgid: stderr: Stack trace:, referer: _________/index.php/dergi/management/settings/website

[Sat Jun 11 19:51:10.289787 2022] [fcgid:warn] [pid 30605:tid 139923331966720] [client 88.239.141.122:54073] mod_fcgid: stderr: #0 ____________________/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOConnection.php(78): PDO->prepare(), referer: __________________/index.php/dergi/management/settings/website

[Sat Jun 11 19:51:10.289792 2022] [fcgid:warn] [pid 30605:tid 139923331966720] [client 88.239.141.122:54073] mod_fcgid: stderr: #1 __________________/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/Connection.php(361): Doctrine\DBAL\Driver\PDOConnection->prepare(), referer: _____________/index.php/dergi/management/settings/website

[Sat Jun 11 19:51:10.289797 2022] [fcgid:warn] [pid 30605:tid 139923331966720] [client 88.239.141.122:54073] mod_fcgid: stderr: #2 ______________/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/Connection.php(664): Illuminate\Database\Connection->Illuminate\Database\{closure}(), referer: ________________/index.php/dergi/management/settings/website

[Sat Jun 11 19:51:10.289801 2022] [fcgid:warn] [pid 30605:tid 139923331966720] [client 88.239.141.122:54073] mod_fcgid: stderr: #3 __________________/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/Connection.php(631): Illuminate\Database\Connection->runQueryCallback(), referer: _______________/index.php/dergi/management/settings/website

[Sat Jun 11 19:51:10.289806 2022] [fcgid:warn] [pid 30605:tid 139923331966720] [client 88.239.141.122:54073] mod_fcgid: stderr: #4 _____________ in ______________/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/Connection.php on line 671, referer: ___________/index.php/dergi/management/settings/website

1 Like

@kerimsarigul

Thanks for trying the plugin.

Iā€™m very sorry it didnā€™t work. I simply forgot to put in the code for creating a new table. On top of a insufficient testing procedure I have to admit. On my systems the table always existed from earlier versions ā€¦

I updated the code of the Release Version 2.3.1.0 of the plugin (Release Slider Home Plugin version 2.3.1 for OJS/OMP 3.3.0 Ā· cedis-epublishing/sliderHome Ā· GitHub).

Please remove the version you previously installed, download the updated version (it has the same version number) and install the plugin again.

I hope everything works now!

Best wishes,
Ronald

Thanks again.
Now It works very well. But it donā€™t show Turkish charactersā€¦
https://ojsdergi.com/demo/

Seems to be an issue with character encoding. Unfortunately, for this plugin this hasnā€™t been a use case for me up to now. But letā€™s try to narrow it down.

When you reopen the edit dialogue in the backend, are the characters mixed up already?
Is the text in the database (table slider) ok or is it already saved with a wrong character encoding?

When you reopen the edit dialogue in the backend, are the characters mixed up already?
in the backend everything is ok

Is the text in the database (table slider) ok or is it already saved with a wrong character encoding?
Everything looks correct in the database (table slider).

@kerimsarigul ,

I updated the release files. Turkish (and any other) characters should now display correctly.

Still Release Version 2.3.1.0 (Release Slider Home Plugin version 2.3.1 for OJS/OMP 3.3.0 Ā· cedis-epublishing/sliderHome Ā· GitHub ).

Best wishes,
Ronald

1 Like

I updated the plugin an it works without any problem.
Thanks for your effort.

Wow amazing plugin!

But, I tried on my OJS version 3.3.0-10 the can not be shown the image.

Screenshot_2;

Please help

Bets Regards;

Hi @OJS_Darryl ,

from the screenshot you sent I can only have a rought guess on what might be the problem. Looking at your journal page it seems the red bar at the bottom of the screenshot originates from an image you present there.
That would suggest the slider image was not loaded at all by the browser. Please verify whether or not your browser actually downlaods the slider images. With Firefox: right click and then ā€œInspect ā†’ Networkā€. Look for 404 Errors on images.

If they are not downloaded please verify your web server has access to the public files folder.

You could also have a look at the php error and/or access logs. If there is a php error please post it here.

Best wishes,
Ronald

1 Like

Hello Ronald;

Here is the screenshot base on your instruction:

If they are not downloaded please verify your web server has access to the public files folderā€¦ What do you mean? do you have an example?

What file they supported on the image, Jpeg, gif, or PNG?

Best Regards.,
Darryl

Hi Darryl,

supported file type are jpg, jpeg and png. Gif is not supported.

Your screenshot only show fonts that could not be downloaded. Does it mean your image are listed there with status ok? Can you hover with your mouse over the image link and see the slider images in your browser?

If they are not downloaded please verify your web server has access to the public files folder What do you mean? do you have an example?

The slider images are stored in your OJS public folder. Your web server should have access to this folder to serve the image to the browser. On my test system (where www-data is the Apache web server) it looks like this:

root@testjournal_3:/var/www/html# ls -l ojs/public/journals/1/
total 348
-rw-rā€“r-- 1 www-data www-data 313924 Jun 22 08:14 slider_image_jpg3i1xI6.jpg
-rw-rā€“r-- 1 www-data www-data 39072 Jun 22 08:14 slider_image_pnguXGyIb.png

However, if you can see the images in your browser as described above all should be fine and the problem must be somewhere else.

Did you have a look at the PHP error/access logs? Anything interesting there?

Hello @ronste1 ;

Hover:

Slider Settings:

Server: ojs public folder

Php Error Log:

Stack trace:
#0 {main}
thrown in /home/serverroot/public_html/api/v1/vocabs/index.php on line 16
[22-Jun-2022 16:40:05 UTC] ojs2: 404 Not Found
[22-Jun-2022 16:53:38 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method PKPApplication::getRequest() should not be called statically in /home/serverroot/public_html/plugins/generic/sliderHome/controllers/tab/SliderHomeSettingsTabFormHandler.inc.php on line 25

Best Regards;
Darryl

Hi Darryl,

the error log seems to be ok. The deprecated warning is not important. I will update this line with the next version.

The slider settings are fine and the HTML code of the slider also is correctly inserted. If you hover your mouse over the underlined src-URL of the HTML code, do you see the image you expect to show for the slider?
If not your have an issue with your access privileges.

Please note that the names of all slider images start with ā€œslider_image_ā€ followed by a random character key. In your example it is ā€œslider_image_jpgynayuE.jpgā€. This is the file you have to find on your server. It should be in the folder ā€œpublic/journals/1/ā€ (replace ā€œ1ā€ with the ID of your journal) and your web server should have access to these files.

The image file you show in the folder listing is not the file used by the plugin.

Best wishes,
Ronald

Hi @ronste1;

Iā€™ve noticed this src-URL: http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/public/journals/9/slider_image_jpgynayuE.jpg; Instead of the /home/serverroot/public_html/public/journals/9/slider_image_jpgynayuE.jpg but I tried to change it no image shown, it the same error.

However, when I checked the public folder on the server, the two file names were present.

If not your have an issue with your access privileges.
What do you mean?

When I tried to copy this link, it took me to the Slider Settings.

https://domainname/public/journals/9/slider_image_jpgynayuE.jpg and Paste it into the html code in the inspect element, and the result is a viewable look.

Iā€™m attempting to alter this code. : http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/public/journals/9/slider_image_jpgCx1Grm.jpg to this

But, Itā€™s temporary solution when you refresh the browser it go back the blank image.

Best Regards;