Migration from OJS-2.3.7PJS to OJS-2.4.7.1 french not migrating

I am looking at Editor_DECISION_RESUBIT.
In OJS 2.3.7
The French is
Subject: Décision du rédacteur
Body: {$authorName}:

Nous avons pris une décision concernant votre soumission à {$journalTitle}, “{$articleTitle}”.

Notre décision est de :

{$editorialContactSignature}

In OJS-2.4.7.1
The French is
Subject:Décision du rédacteur
Body:{$authorName}:

Nous avons pris une décision concernant votre soumission à {$journalTitle}, “{$articleTitle}”.

Notre décision est de :

{$editorialContactSignature}

Can someone explain why this is happening and how does one fix these. Currently I have to copy from the old and paste into the new. Extremely time consuming. I have to do this for every journal that has french.

Thanks,
Edward

Hi @EdwardDavid,

I suspect you inadvertently changed your UTF8 configuration when you migrated – either the database settings in your config.inc.php configuration file, or perhaps when you created the new database and moved the old content over using probably the mysql and mysqldump tools. I wouldn’t suggest correcting this manually. I’d suggest checking your settings and finding out where the configuration mismatch occurred, then fixing it there. If you go ahead with manual corrections, you’ll need to do this manually in a lot of places.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,
The one journal in question was using OJS-2.3.7 Here is the part in config.inc.php.
; Default locale
locale = en_US

; Client output/input character set
client_charset = utf-8

; Database connection character set
; Must be set to “Off” if not supported by the database server
; If enabled, must be the same character set as “client_charset”
; (although the actual name may differ slightly depending on the server)
connection_charset = Off

; Database storage character set
database_charset = Off

; Enable character normalization to utf-8 (recommended)
; If disabled, strings will be passed through in their native encoding
; Note that client_charset and database collation must be set
; to “utf-8” for this to work, as characters are stored in utf-8
charset_normalization = Off

The same journal migrated to OJS-2.4.7.1
Here is the same part in config.inc.php.
; Default locale
locale = en_US

; Client output/input character set
client_charset = utf-8

; Database connection character set
; If enabled, must be the same character set as “client_charset”
; (although the actual name may differ slightly depending on the server)
connection_charset = utf8

; Database storage character set
database_charset = utf8

; If disabled, strings will be passed through in their native encoding
; Note that client_charset and database collation must be set
; to “utf-8” for this to work, as characters are stored in utf-8
charset_normalization = utf-8

As you can see in the old version client_charset = utf-8 was the only one defined. I went in and defined all the others.
Should I have left the other off?

Thanks,
Edward

Hi @EdwardDavid,

I would suggest using the same settings as your old installation to make sure your transfer went smoothly and no new problems were introduced. Your old installation was not properly configured for UTF-8 in the database, and in order to fix that you’ll likely have to generate a database dump, transcode it with something like iconv, and load it – but it’s best not to solve this at the same time as changing servers, because you’ll compound any problems that either process might introduce.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

Setting the values to what the original fixed the issue. Now I will have to look at fixing this issue so the values are correct.

I have some journals that have charset_normalization = utf8 and some with charset_normalization = Off.

What should I set these values to?

The other three values are utf-8 utf8 and utf8 for both journals top down.

Thanks,
Edward

Hi @EdwardDavid,

charset_normalization should generally be Off. It used to be useful when some browsers and servers weren’t reliably using UTF-8, but not anymore. You can change this setting whenever you want without garbling your existing database. Only new content will be affected by the change.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello,

I had the same issue when I migrated to a newer version, however, changing the collation of the new database never resolved the problem. In addition, I found that UTF8 was not working for me in many cases, for instance this name “Šimončičová” wasn’t as expected and I changed to “utf8mb4_unicode_ci” and I manually edited the texts. Hope you permanently resolved the issue!

Best

Hi @an75824,

What are your character set related settings in config.inc.php?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Client_charset = utf-8

any other character set is off…

Hi @an75824,

Ideally these settings should be…

client_charset = utf-8
connection_charset = utf8
database_charset = utf8
charset_normalization = Off

If you already have content in your database that’s not properly UTF-8 encoded, you may need to transcode your database. You can do this by running a mysqldump through a transcoder like iconv and then loading the result back in to MySQL.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

@asmecher, currently OJS dev and master both introduce charset_normalization in config.inc.php as:

If this “should generally be Off”, I’m thinking we should change the documentation in config.inc.php.

Hi @ctgraham,

Thanks – and I think I’ll also remove it from the master branch entirely. It’s not harmful, but it’s no longer useful; a few years ago when some platforms didn’t properly support UTF8, it helped.

Regards,
Alec Smecher