Manuscript Theme problem for arabic language

Hi!
I have a problem regarding the arabic style. when i choose arabic language, i cannot see the article details in arabic. when i click the article title, the page isn’t working.
arabic1
This is my url: jfatwa.usim.edu.my

Thanks!

Hi @Emi_Naza

Can you specify OJS version that you are using? Also is it possible for you too look at the PHP error log after trying access article landing page? You are definitely getting there a fatal error and knowing it can ease debugging.

I’m using version 3.1.1.1…

this is the latest error log when i click article title while in arabic language.

[09-Jan-2019 06:37:20 UTC] PHP Warning: mktime(): It is not safe to rely on the system’s timezone settings. You are required to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone ‘UTC’ for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-time.inc.php on line 1073
[09-Jan-2019 06:37:20 UTC] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of PKPUsageEventPlugin::getEnabled() should be compatible with LazyLoadPlugin::getEnabled($contextId = NULL) in /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/usageEvent/PKPUsageEventPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[09-Jan-2019 06:37:20 UTC] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of AddThisPlugin::register() should be compatible with LazyLoadPlugin::register($category, $path, $mainContextId = NULL) in /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/plugins/generic/addThis/AddThisPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[09-Jan-2019 06:37:20 UTC] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getBlockContext() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getBlockContext($contextId = NULL) in /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[09-Jan-2019 06:37:20 UTC] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getEnabled() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getEnabled($contextId = NULL) in /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[09-Jan-2019 06:37:20 UTC] PHP Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/pages/index/IndexHandler.inc.php on line 68
[09-Jan-2019 06:37:21 UTC] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionFileDAO::fromRow() should be compatible with PKPSubmissionFileDAO::fromRow($row, $fileImplementation) in /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/classes/article/SubmissionFileDAO.inc.php on line 23

Those are Warnings are cosmetic, are there any Fatal Errors in the log?

Oh sorry… this one fatal error i found in the log

[10-Jan-2019 03:04:49 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘Exception’ with message ‘String could not be parsed as XML’ in /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/lib/vendor/seboettg/citeproc-php/src/Seboettg/CiteProc/Locale/Locale.php:48 Stack trace: #0 /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/lib/vendor/seboettg/citeproc-php/src/Seboettg/CiteProc/Locale/Locale.php(48): SimpleXMLElement->__construct(’’) #1 /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/lib/vendor/seboettg/citeproc-php/src/Seboettg/CiteProc/CiteProc.php(200): Seboettg\CiteProc\Locale\Locale->__construct(‘ar-IQ’) #2 /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/lib/vendor/seboettg/citeproc-php/src/Seboettg/CiteProc/CiteProc.php(160): Seboettg\CiteProc\CiteProc->init(false) #3 /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/CitationStyleLanguagePlugin.inc.php(382): Seboettg\CiteProc\CiteProc->render(Array, ‘bibliography’) #4 /home/usimjour/jfatwa.u in /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/lib/vendor/seboettg/citeproc-php/src/Seboettg/CiteProc/Locale/Locale.php on line 48

Hmm. According to the error, I would say that locale.xml file inside citationStyleLanguage plugin is malformed. Or there are associated problems with this plugin… But I can’t reproduce it.

Do you experience this problem with other locales?
Do you have a directory ar_IQ inside plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/locale/. If yes, can you check if the file locale.xml inside it is valid, e.g. all tags are closed properly?

Sir, I think the directory ar_IQ is missing in that folder… is there any way i can get the file?

locale

Default Manuscript theme doesn’t have this locale.
So the problem probably goes from general locale files. Does the problem occur when you use other locale? Is it specific only for Manuscript theme?

only use 2 locales : english and arabic… i have tried using default and boostrap theme, also did’nt work for me when i change to arabic :sweat_smile:

So the problem is general, not theme-specific. Localization for Arabic language, for Citation Style Languages plugin, is situated inside plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/ar_IQ/ folder. Can you try to create this folder and put there locale.xml from the latest stable release? The file should be readable by the server (usually apache). https://github.com/pkp/citationStyleLanguage/blob/stable-3_1_2/locale/ar_IQ/locale.xml

sorry for my limited knowledge. I have followed your instruction but when i try to access article in arabic locale, i got this error:

[18-Jan-2019 01:18:35 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘Exception’ with message ‘String could not be parsed as XML’ in /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/lib/vendor/seboettg/citeproc-php/src/Seboettg/CiteProc/Locale/Locale.php:48 Stack trace: #0 /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/lib/vendor/seboettg/citeproc-php/src/Seboettg/CiteProc/Locale/Locale.php(48): SimpleXMLElement->__construct(’’) #1 /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/lib/vendor/seboettg/citeproc-php/src/Seboettg/CiteProc/CiteProc.php(200): Seboettg\CiteProc\Locale\Locale->__construct(‘ar-IQ’) #2 /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/lib/vendor/seboettg/citeproc-php/src/Seboettg/CiteProc/CiteProc.php(160): Seboettg\CiteProc\CiteProc->init(false) #3 /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/CitationStyleLanguagePlugin.inc.php(382): Seboettg\CiteProc\CiteProc->render(Array, ‘bibliography’) #4 /home/usimjour/jfatwa.u in /home/usimjour/jfatwa.usim.edu.my/plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/lib/vendor/seboettg/citeproc-php/src/Seboettg/CiteProc/Locale/Locale.php on line 48

Hi @Emi_Naza

Sorry for the late response. I was able to reproduce this problem with OJS-3.1.1-1. But it was solved in the next release. Can you upgrade your OJS instance to 3.1.1-4?

great! i updated to 3.1.1.4 and it works…
Thank u so much for your help
:+1::+1::v:

1 Like