Macedonian translation

What it takes to translate OJS in Macedonian. I see there is a OJS v2. how to use that?

A translation from OJS 2.x will not work directly in OJS 3.x. We did some recent work at the Pittsburgh Sprint to update the Translation Documentation for OJS 3.x, though.

but is it better than to start from screech?

OJS 2.x to OJS 3.x is a major application re-write. You’ll need to review each translated key, so I think starting a fresh translation would be the best approach.

It would be tempting to copy the 2.x locale XML files into a 3.x install, but this would give a false sense of security in seeing a phrase which appears to be translated, but which has since been modified and is in fact obsolete.

Our translation manager, @mtub, might have different or additional recommendations.

The easiest way is to use the language pack of neighboring languages Serbian (Cyrillic) or Bulgarian and correct it to Macedonian. how to do this?

You would follow the instructions in the documentation for creating a new locale “from scratch”:
https://docs.pkp.sfu.ca/translating-guide/en/2-4-from-scratch
but instead of manually creating the files in mk_MK, copy the files from sr_RS@cyrillic.

so the file that will be translating is only available at my site? or it will be available for all interested parties?

Once you have translated the file locally, you are encouraged to contribute it for inclusion in the standard application. See:
https://docs.pkp.sfu.ca/translating-guide/en/2-5-sharing

I have translated Macedonian on the

https://translate.pkp.sfu.ca/languages/mk/

what to do next? How to install?

Hi @jonovski,

Have a look at this thread: New locale support installed manually on OMP? - #2 by asmecher

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I am not sure I understood exactly what to do.

I did downloaded the files and manually uploaded, using the file manager of Cpanel, but nothing happened. Macedonian does not appear in the list of the languages to install.

Thee is no automatic install?

Hi @jonovski,

I’ve just added a note to the bottom of the linked post that might help:

If the language is new, you’ll also have to add an entry for it to registry/locales.xml .

Regards,
Alec Smecher

can you be more specific? What to write where in registry/locales.xml

Ok I did, make line similar to the other and it gave the possibility to install, but it does not allow it to change.

pressing on the top “English” does not show Macedonian, so I cannot change to it.

I reload the page and it showed it, but nothing works I mean everything on the page is with #

Hi @jonovski,

Which of our applications and what version are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

ojs pkp version 3.1.2.1

Hi @jonovski,

Weblate’s files are not compatible with an OJS version that old, unfortunately. You’ll need to upgrade to the latest release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I did upgrade, but all Cyrillic titles of the articles became ??? So I reverted it from backup file.

I ungraded it again but again almost everything is in English with the #

and titles with ??? still remain

Hi @jonovski,

The question marks in place of accented characters is the first problem to solve; there are other threads on the forum about it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher