Local installation of OJS 3.1 on Windows

Hi

I’ve installed V3.1 locally on my Windows 10 notebook. That works quite well I thought but when I was prompted to log in for the first time it lead to a 500 error. And now I’m not even able to load the homepage (index) again.

I’m using xampp as a system environment. Below I’ve copied the php errors I discovered in the apache error log file. Thanks for helping me.

Best
Jan

[Wed Jan 17 16:56:00.386745 2018] [php7:error] [pid 900:tid 1888] [client ::1:52626] PHP Recoverable fatal error: ini_set(): Cannot set ‘user’ save handler by ini_set() or session_module_name() in C:\xampp\htdocs\bop\lib\pkp\classes\session\SessionManager.inc.php on line 36
[Wed Jan 17 16:56:17.544884 2018] [php7:error] [pid 900:tid 1904] [client ::1:52632] PHP Recoverable fatal error: ini_set(): Cannot set ‘user’ save handler by ini_set() or session_module_name() in C:\xampp\htdocs\bop\lib\pkp\classes\session\SessionManager.inc.php on line 36
[Wed Jan 17 16:56:23.719245 2018] [php7:error] [pid 900:tid 1900] [client ::1:52633] PHP Recoverable fatal error: ini_set(): Cannot set ‘user’ save handler by ini_set() or session_module_name() in C:\xampp\htdocs\bop\lib\pkp\classes\session\SessionManager.inc.php on line 36

I do not remember why, but I found xampp to be incompatible with any OJS after 3.0.1 (or something like that). Sorry for not being too informative. And I might be mistaken.

Never had any problems with OJS3 on XAMPP, including the latest versions of both.
Edit: not with PHP 7.2

The most probable cause is an unsuccessfull installation because of a PHP time limit.

Hi @trace,

I suspect you’re using PHP7.2, correct? Try applying the change contained in this patch that applies to lib/pkp/classes/session/SessionManager.inc.php. Essentially you’ll just need to remove one line of code.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

4 Likes

Thanks Alec
This patch resolved the problem.
Best
Jan

Hi. Thanks so much, since upgrading to php72 I had this error too and the above patch fixes things. However, I now get these warnings: please advise how to eliminate.

Warning: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getSeq() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getSeq($contextId = NULL) in /home/www/issa.africa/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0

Warning: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getBlockContext() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getBlockContext($contextId = NULL) in /home/www/issa.africa/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0

Warning: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getEnabled() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getEnabled($contextId = NULL) in /home/www/issa.africa/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0

Warning: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getContents(&$templateMgr, $request = NULL) should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getContents($templateMgr, $request = NULL) in /home/www/issa.africa/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0

Notice: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/www/issa.africa/pages/index/IndexHandler.inc.php on line 68