Journal name shows up below journal image

Thanks. I do not know what SAPI is. Is it known by another name? You guys still doing consulting?

I deleted all .php files and the problem still occurs. There are some .js files in there too. Are they used in the header section too? Should they be deleted?

Hi @radjr,

Here’s a quick note on what SAPI is – basically, it’s whether you’re running mod_php, or PHP as a CGI binary, etc. This will imply what user account PHP scripts will run under, and you’ll have to set permissions accordingly.

Are you seeing the PHP files getting re-generated as you use the system?

I don’t think .js files there will be affecting you – but what are the filenames for those?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Yes, the PHP files are being recreated in that directory. This original issue is that the landing page here: http://www.wmpllc.org/ojs-2.4.2/index.php/jom/ has the name of the journal in black text below the graphic and we are not able to make it go away.

There are .GZ files in there too… Delete them?

f0b7bc0bf1e5bcd011a98b53a00bfbd8.js and
490c2dfbac882d8fa7cae20978915f32.js

are the .js files created there in addition to the previously mentioned .gz files like
f0b7bc0bf1e5bcd011a98b53a00bfbd8.gz

Deleted all of the files. .php, .js, .gz in the cache folder and none made the journal name text go away.

Hi @radjr,

Ah, it looks like you’ve uploaded that image as your Logo, but you’ve also entered a Title. As I recall, you can enter both, but only the Title is required. I’d suggest removing that image from the Logo setting, and adding it as a Title. Both are available on Journal Setup page 5.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,

Thanks but we may be going in circles. We checked this originally and there is no title specified. The page has been cached and hence the discussion about clearing the cache. See image attached. thanks. radjr

Hi @radjr,

Have you tried removing the Logo, and adding that file instead as a Title?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Brilliant. It seems to have fixed the problem! The question is why that text would only show up on the home journal page and no where else…but maybe it is cached somewhere. But who cares you fixed it! Thank you!! Where do I send the beer?

Alec, can you tell me which theme is running on this site? http://js.sagamorepub.com/

Thanks.

Richard A. DeVito Jr.
Publisher
Weston Medical Publishing, LLC, 470 Boston Post Road, Suite 301, Weston, MA 02493 USA
radjr@pnpco.com - 781-899-2702 ext. 107 - 781-899-4900 fax
Join us at the 2016 International Conference on Opioids, June 5-7, 2016

Hi @radjr,

I’m not familiar with that installation, but at a glance it looks like they’ve done both template and CSS modifications. You’d need to contact them for details.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks Alec. Is there another repository of themes besides the guy in Phoenix?

Richard A. DeVito Jr.

Hi @radjr,

I’d suggest looking at the George Mason University theme. We’ve used it ourselves for a few journals. It’s responsive, and free.

If OJS 3.0 is an option for you, give it a look; it’s also responsive, has much more modern theming capabilities, and has other options e.g. a set of Bootstrap themes. Not all OJS 2.x capabilities are in OJS 3.0 yet but we’re working hard on bringing it up to feature parity.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks Alec. I would jump to 3.0 but it does not support subscriptions at last look. So that is problematic for us. Again thanks for your help.

Richard A. DeVito Jr.
Publisher
Weston Medical Publishing, LLC, 470 Boston Post Road, Suite 301, Weston, MA 02493 USA

Hi @radjr,

That’s correct – it’s a high priority for OJS 3.1.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Time? What do you need from us. We had a bunch of suggestions about a year ago to make the subscription system work well for us. We need to be able to move data up and down easily with complete contact data. Would be happy to help spec that subsystem if it is still in the product spec stage.

Cheers!

Richard A. DeVito Jr.
Publisher

Hi @radjr,

The OJS 3.1 release is tentatively scheduled for May 1 – see the github milestone – and I’d suggest watching that link to see if/how the schedule changes. Feedback on the OJS 2.x subscription feature set would be welcome.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks Alec. One intended or unintended consequence of non subscription module is that all journals operate in open access mode and it thereby reduces the incentive for authors to pay APCs to get their content out into open access.

For us the subscription module has a few key components.

1. Customizable subscription types
  2. Full import and export capabilities including re-merge capabilities for those of us running subscription management systems outside of OJS.
  3. Gated access
  4. Pay to access single PDFs
  5. For maximum exposure…partial article exposure…eg, get only the first 2 pages of the article and then hit a paywall.

I can noodle this more, but if you have a product spec, please forward and I would be happy to review.

cheers!

Hi @radjr,

We’re likely to implement subscription support as a plugin, meaning that the built-in subscription support can live alongside other plugins that may affect article access (e.g. Shibboleth support). If you have a third-party membership/subscription management service, rather than spending time working out import/export/merge functionality (which can be very finicky and user-specific), it might be worth checking whether there’s a way for OJS to delegate subscription checking to the third-party service. We’ve done this for a few clients and it’s much more reliable than trying to maintain the same list in two places.

Regards,
Alec Smecher