Journal level DOIs

I don’t know if this is implemented in 3.x branch, but in 2.4.x there is no way to register a DOI for the journal… So I usually create and submit journal’s root DOIs by hand, that it’s not difficult, but kind of annoying doing a work that could be done by a machine. :slight_smile:

Here you have some info about “Journal level DOIs”:

May be it’s a nice addition for OJS 3.x?

Cheers,
m.

In OJS 3.X in settings of DOI plugin there are options as on screenshot below.
Is that what you suggest?

Screenshot_2018-01-15_21-40-45

1 Like

Thanks @vvucic. This is close, but it’s not what I’m asking for.

What I’m saying is that would be nice an additional check box called “Journal” that will create a permanent DOI to the root of the journal.

Let’s take this DOI pointing to an article… http://dx.doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.726855
The Journal’s DOI is: http://dx.doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA

@bozana, do you think this is feasible and useful?

Cheers,
m.

1 Like

Hi @marc

Yes, that could be done. This was/is not our priority, because nobody ever asked for it and it is only done once for a journal so that it is not so much manual work for the users. Any contribution is of course very welcome! Unfortunately, the code amount for that feature – to function in the same way as the DOIs are assigned and registered on the other levels and for different agencies – is not small, so that I am not sure if it is worth, but… :slight_smile:

Best,
Bozana

1 Like

Probably you are right and it’s too much code for a task that it’s done once or twice for each journal…

If I found time this week I will publish here a XML template that will also do the job.

Cheers,
m.

Hi @marc

:ok_hand:

Thanks!!!
Bozana

1 Like

Can someone suggest how to assign a journal-level DOI as described by @marc above?

Thanks,
Yelena

Sorry… I completely forget this.

Here you have an explanation about how to do this with CrossRef:

XML samples:

Replace with your data and submit to CrossRef via form. Piece of cake. :wink: