Is the OJS 3 applicable for large scale journals

Is the OJS 3 applicable for large scale journals???

1 Like

Hi @Ahmad_Al_Jayousi,

Can you please specify what is large scale journals for you?

Regards, Primož

Number of publishing articles is not affordable by its 3. I actually upgraded from 2.4.8 to 3.1.1.4 but got database connection failed due to Max execution query limit
https://sciencepubco.com
The upgrade was successful without errors

In addition to large number of visitors

Hi @Ahmad_Al_Jayousi,

You have to be more precise:

• have you succesfully upgraded the OJS or not?
  • what is large? 1000?

Regards, Primož

hi @primozs
Yes the upgrade was successful.
I have more than 3000 articles.

the problem is the database disconnects every 4 hours due to limit execution query time.
i consult a company working on ojs they told me that my website is having a large scale journals and OJS 3 is not suitable for it. I have to stay on OJS 2.4.8.

I do not know whether this is correct or not . Is there any way to solve the problem?

Hi @Ahmad_Al_Jayousi,

Now it is better info. As far as I know the backend part of the OJS did not change much from OJS 2 to OJS 3 and there should be no difference. Maybe others can comment on that, like @asmecher or @bozana, that have better overview of internals.
I have an installation with 2900 articles, also upgraded from OJS 2 to OJS 3, and don’t have any problems with it.

Regards, Primož

@primozs
what about 20000 articles can the system afford it

Hi @Ahmad_Al_Jayousi,

OJS 3.x should scale similarly to OJS 2.x, including beyond 20,000 articles, depending how those are distributed. For example, 20,000 articles that are all in the active workflow will probably cause the editor’s submission lists to slow down, but a more typical mix of mostly published or archived content and some in-progress content should be fine. There are definitely production installs with much more than 20k articles running OJS 3.x.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi,
the problem with large number of articles is that submission list does not provide any information on submission date, section editor, reviewers, review stage, … and using filters is also another lag.
we have a journal with around 200 articles in different stages and the editor has created an excel file to track these changes. OJS 2 had much more info on separate pages with detailed table.

Hi @alirezaaa,

That’s a separate issue – the OP was talking about optimization and your comment is about usability. We recently did some UX work on filters and sorting for long lists but I’d suggest discussing that on another thread.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team