Is it possible to send an email to all users with a specific role?

Good day, I would like to know if it is possible or how it is done from OJS3.1

For example, send the same email to all authors, reviewers, etc.

Thank you :grinning:

1 Like

Hi @Ayax

In OJS 2.x it is possible to send an e-mail to multiple users in a particular roles from the enrolled users page or by using the “notify users” function. However, I’m sorry to say this functionality is not available in OJS 3 yet. There are plans to include it in a future release but I am not sure of the timeline.

Regards,
Israel Cefrin
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Israel, I’ll have to wait for the update then. :arrows_counterclockwise:

Thanks for your help.
Regards.

1 Like

Thank you @israel.cefrin, I would like to add my voice to this feature request as it was used by some of our journal managers in OJS 2 and is missed after the upgrade

1 Like

Still waiting for this basic and vital feature - April 2019. Being unable to email users in different roles makes life extremely difficult. As others have said, basic missing features lost from the OJS 2 upgrade should be added asap.

1 Like

Hi,

I arrive to this post today because a journal editor was asking me about same thing.

First, let me explain that massive mailing is not a good practice for the health of your mailing system and because final users could complain.

Probably this is why this feature is not implemented in OJS 3.2 and 3.3.
(Not sure if it will be available in 3.4).

Said that, if somebody REALLY requires this it could be done exporting a set of users with an specific role and mailing outside OJS.

Take in consideration that YOU CAN NOT do this to users that didn’t explicitly accept a privacy data declaration (ie: during the registration) explaining that his/her name and mail will be exported and used in third party systems.

Cheers,
m.

There is this feature in OJS 3.3:

https://docs.pkp.sfu.ca/learning-ojs/en/users-and-roles#bulk-email-notifications-by-role

However, reinforcing what Marc said, massive sending of messages tends to damage the reputation of messages sent by this OJS, including transactional messages such as invitation to reviewers:

If you need to send messages to larger groups of users, I strongly recommend that this be done via a separate service and, of course, with the prior authorization of all recipients.

1 Like