Is it possible to downgrade from OJS 3.1.2 to OJS 3.1.1?

Hello,

Since we upgraded to OJS 3.1.2, one of our journal wich uses the most OJS is having a lot of problem that prevents him from using the software normally: problems of displays, validation, etc.
Until we understand where all these problems come from we would like to come back to the previous release and downgrade from OJS 3.1.2 to OJS 3.1.1.

Do you think we can do that without trouble ? I think for example to the DB schema which as changed.

Thanks in advance dor your answer.
Best regards.
Helene

Hi Helene,

There were more than just db schema changes, there were also SQL commands that executed fixes on the actual database content, e.g. the contents of dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.1.2_update.xml

My advice is, if you really want to go back to 3.1.1, is to restore from a backup.

Regards,
Jason

Hi all,

@hcl, can you describe the problems you’re having with 3.1.2 in more detail? It’s been a stable release from our perspective. It’s possible that it can be resolved without too much trouble, and that might be better than reverting to 3.1.1.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

Here are some problems that one of our journal encounter:

1. Name and given name of users are not displayed anymore in the backend: maybe related to this issue which is still open

2. Keywords field of a published submission in metadata doesn’t display (maybe a problem of browser because I don’t reproduce the problem)

3. When editorial manager wanted to assign an article to an issue with “Schedule for publication” and clicked to the save button, it was loading for ever and never saved
    When I retried to do it, it took time but it worked with this messages in error log file:
    PHP Warning: Cannot use a scalar value as an array in /var/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/core/DataObject.inc.php on line 133, referer: https://[journal]/submissions

4. When editorial manager wanted to access to editorial history of a submission, it was loading for ever and never display.ed There is this error in log file:
    PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getFullName() on null in /var/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/user/UserDAO.inc.php:465\nStack trace:\n#0 /var/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/log/EmailLogEntry.inc.php(129): UserDAO->getUserFullName(‘0’, true)\n#1 /var/www/journals/lib/pkp/controllers/grid/eventLog/EventLogGridCellProvider.inc.php(96): EmailLogEntry->getSenderFullName()\n#2 /var/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/GridCellProvider.inc.php(49): EventLogGridCellProvider->getTemplateVarsFromRowColumn(Object(EventLogGridRow), Object(GridColumn))\n#3 /var/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/GridHandler.inc.php(1098): GridCellProvider->render(Object(Request), Object(EventLogGridRow), Object(GridColumn))\n#4 /var/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/GridHandler.inc.php(1005): GridHandler->_renderCellInternally(Object(Request), Object(EventLogGridRow), Object(GridColumn))\n#5 /var/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/GridHandler.inc.php(982): GridHandler->renderRowInternally(Object(Re in /var/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/user/UserDAO.inc.php on line 465, referer: https://[journal]/workflow/index/xxxx/x
    It’s maybe related to problem of Name and given name of users are not displayed anymore ?

5. When editorial manager wanted to assign a copyeditor to a submission, the user who has the role of copyeditor doesn’t display in the list even after search

I have to leave for a few days and I’m afraid that the users of the journal will be blocked.
They did not have all these problems with OJS version 3.1.1
But I think there are several problems that have accumulated: We upgraded to OJS 3.1.2. To do that, I had to upgrade to PHP7, and to fix our plugins and specific themes that were no longer compatible with OJS 3.1.2
And there are some issues with OJS version 3.1.2

Thanks in advance for your answer.
Kind regards.
Helene

1 Like

Dear Asmecher

We have tried up upgrade to 3.1.2 but there is a problem in form submission when we click on the upgrade button.

If there is no chance to restore from the backup, perhaps it might be wiser to wait for the 3.1.2-1, since most of those issues have already been filed.
At least, we (after a thorough testing) are waiting for the next release.

Hi all,

We’ll be releasing OJS 3.1.2-1 fairly soon – I’d estimate within a couple of weeks.

@hcl, let’s pick off your issues one at a time, starting with a few quick ones.

On #3, I suspect there’s an error message in your log for this, but it may be hard to find amongst a number of warnings.

On #4 on your list: this patch will fix it. Return null in case no user record is found · pkp/pkp-lib@1b5d423 · GitHub

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Hi @asmecher,

I saw that some of issues are indeed solved in release OJS 3.1.2-1. If I download current stable release 3.1.2 , does it already included the 23 closed issues of next release OJS 3.1.2-1?

And what about my issue 1): Name and given name of users are not displayed anymore in the backend: maybe related to this issue which is still open ?
Did you find the problem and will it be included in the next release OJS 3.1.2-1 ?

Thank you for your support, your responsiveness. I feel a little more reassured now.
Kind regards.
Helene

The release of OJS 3.1.2-1 will be built off of the stable_3_1_2 branch, so the issues closed against 3.1.2-1 should be resolved within that branch.

I’d support this question. Is there a chance this issue will be closed against 3.1.2-1?

Hi @Ph_We,

Scheduled!

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Dear @asmecher

We have upgraded our journals to OJS 3.1.2, article Schedule for publication is unable to save, it was loading for ever and never saved.
Here is error log with few other issues.
[24-Apr-2019 23:54:15 UTC] PHP Warning: Declaration of AddThisPlugin::register($category, $path) should be compatible with LazyLoadPlugin::register($category, $path, $mainContextId = NULL) in /home/psmpu6586/journals.psmpublishers.org/plugins/generic/addThis/AddThisPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[24-Apr-2019 23:54:15 UTC] PHP Warning: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getBlockContext() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getBlockContext($contextId = NULL) in /home/psmpu6586/journals.psmpublishers.org/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[24-Apr-2019 23:54:15 UTC] PHP Warning: Declaration of DRIVERDAO::setOAI(&$oai) should be compatible with PKPOAIDAO::setOAI($oai) in /home/psmpu6586/journals.psmpublishers.org/plugins/generic/driver/DRIVERDAO.inc.php on line 19
[24-Apr-2019 23:54:15 UTC] PHP Warning: Declaration of OpenAIREDAO::setOAI(&$oai) should be compatible with PKPOAIDAO::setOAI($oai) in /home/psmpu6586/journals.psmpublishers.org/plugins/generic/openAIRE/OpenAIREDAO.inc.php on line 0
[24-Apr-2019 23:54:16 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; ADODB_Cache_File has a deprecated constructor in /home/psmpu6586/journals.psmpublishers.org/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 263
[24-Apr-2019 23:54:16 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; ADOConnection has a deprecated constructor in /home/psmpu6586/journals.psmpublishers.org/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 359
[24-Apr-2019 23:54:16 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; ADORecordSet has a deprecated constructor in /home/psmpu6586/journals.psmpublishers.org/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 2921
[24-Apr-2019 23:54:16 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; ADORecordSet_array has a deprecated constructor in /home/psmpu6586/journals.psmpublishers.org/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 3939
[24-Apr-2019 23:54:17 UTC] PHP Deprecated: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in /home/psmpu6586/journals.psmpublishers.org/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 1003

Kindest regards,
MANI MUGHAL

Hi @manimughal,

Can you post your question as a new topic? That’ll help keep the forum more organized.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I also have the same problem with my journal after upgraded to OJS 3.1.2.

DB Error: Table ‘XXXXXX_ojs989.submission_categories’ doesn’t exist

Hi @justofeel,

I’m not sure that’s the same issue as this topic discusses; can you post it as a new topic? That’ll help keep the forum organized.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thank you for your correction. My apologies for my mistake.