Ipage.com - OJS Installation Question

I keep getting the error:
“The directory specified for uploaded files does not exist or is not writable.”

The OJS is on a iPage hosted site. The upload directory is: website.com/journal/files

The directory permissions are set to 777 (all read/write/execute)

I’ve tried using the path
/journal/files for the OJS “File Settings - Directory for uploads” but for some reason I still get the above error. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

Hi @Copper,

If you’re getting that error message even though you’re using 777 permissions, then you’ve probably either specified the directory incorrectly, or perhaps your server is using SELinux security extensions or something else. Note that 777 permissions are never safe to use, so once you’ve figured out what the directory should be or disabled/configured SELinux, make sure to find a safer permission set.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

@Copper, in addition to @asmecher’s advice, I’ll note that you mention the path of “/journal/files”, but your folder probably doesn’t hang off of your server root. Try a path with your actual server root specified “/home/website.com/webroot/journal/files” or a path relative to the OJS root “…/journal/files”. (These are for example only, and neither is likely to match your configuration.)

Thank you.
Is there a way to determine the full path of a directory?

Hi @Copper,

Your ISP will usually have this somewhere in their knowledge base; if they have a file manager in CPanel, then you might be able to identify it there; or failing that, you can often find it in your phpinfo() output.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thank you

The short php script given at the below link was useful in determining the full path:

Hi @Copper,

Thanks for following up – perhaps that will be useful for other users.

Regards,
Alec Smecher