Importing Articles with Cover Images

ojs3
import

Hello,

I recently worked on migrating a journal from an older self-coded platform to OJS3. Our editors would like to import all the older issues into our new OJS3-journal. So I was looking into the corresponding entry in the admin guide and the sample files provided there.

I couldn’t find any info on how to attach a cover image to an article in the sample files. However, the XML schema for OJS defines an element named cover (cf. lines 171-180):

<element name="cover">
	<complexType>
		<sequence>
			<element name="cover_image" type="string" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" />
			<element name="cover_image_alt_text" type="string" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" />
			<element name="embed" type="pkp:embed" />
		</sequence>
		<attribute name="locale" type="string" />
	</complexType>
</element>

Now I’m not the fittest when it comes to XML but I don’t quite get what the first element in the sequence does and what it should look like, but I understand it is required, right?

I tried to export already published articles that have cover images but the resulting XML didn’t feature them. And as expected, when I imported the XML file again, the articles where without covers.

Could you please give me an example of a well-formatted, OJS3-importable XML file of an article with a cover image (or an issue with many articles that each has a cover image) would look like? That would be really great!

Thanks in advance!

Hi @1Name

It seems like article covers are still not considered in OJS native export and import.
Please track this GitHub Issue for changes/developments on that: https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/4294.

Best,
Bozana

Thanks for your reply and opening the GitHub Issue, @bozana !

Do you know if there is any further documentation on the import/export formats? The admin guide and the example files don’t really provide a lot of information on what the single elements do and how they should be used to achieve desired results (such as the cover element, but also, for example, seq elements and attributes).

Maybe I should open another topic for that…