Immersion theme - french displayed when no english available

I haven’t seen anything related to this in the user guides, video tutorials or bug reports. So… I’m mentioning it here to see if someone knows of some silly reason that this is happening.

• Application Version - OJS 3.3.0-3
  • Description of issue
    Under the Immersion theme, when visiting site/journal/information/readers (or authors/librarians), the page renders canadian french if there is no content in the information description for English (despite English being the only language selected and the primary locale set as English).
  • Steps you took leading up to the issue
    Remove description from the English language and enable the Immersion theme.
  • What you tried to resolve the issue
    Adding some text to the English localization allows it to render correctly, but if the description is empty, it instead renders French.
  • Screenshots
    • Settings > Website > Setup > Languages
      Note: No French language selected. Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 5.29.06 PM
    • Settings > Website > Setup > Information.
      Note: No entry under "Readers"
      Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 5.29.31 PM
    • Default French information appears on Information for Readers page:
      Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 5.29.15 PM
  • Error log messages (if applicable)
    There are no error log messages

Hi @AndrewGearhart ,

That must be leftover from previous settings when Franch has been enabled. So the French text is still in the DB although the language itself is not enabled anymore. Try to temporarily enable Franch and you should see the text.

Regards, Primož

That’s correct. Enabling the French shows the French editing… however, why should it show up if it isn’t enabled?

I agree that it is poor setup by the user (I don’t even understand why the editors would leave these informational description boxes blank, but … I’m not the editors…). But, I also think it’s poor handling of the bad setup by the user. If English is the only locale enabled, and there isn’t anything in the English… it shouldn’t show anything (or should show something like a commented out placeholder that makes it clear that there are no contents coming from the system because the field is empty).