HTTP Error 500 While upgrading from 3.2.1.2 to 3.3.0.2

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade from 3.2.1.2 to 3.3.0.2. But getting HTTP Error 500.

Any solutions?

1 Like

Hi, try looking at the previous posts, maybe there is information similar to your problem. Since you have provided very little information, Iā€™m not sure if they can help you.

@Heorhii Do you use the custom theme? In my case this is error related with custom theme. I think the new version (3.3.0) use Laravel/Illuminate library.

Try look in to error log. For example:

$ sudo nano /var/log/apache2/custom_name_error.log

Hi @ross_s. I tried to update via web.

[06-Feb-2021 17:03:26 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getConnection() on null in lib/pkp/lib/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/Capsule/Manager.php:74
Stack trace:
#0 lib/pkp/lib/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/Capsule/Manager.php(200): Illuminate\Database\Capsule\Manager::connection()
#1 lib/pkp/classes/db/DAO.inc.php(65): Illuminate\Database\Capsule\Manager::_callStatic(ā€˜rawā€™, Array)
#2 lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginSettingsDAO.inc.php(106): DAO->retrieve('SELECT setting
ā€¦', Array)
#3 lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginSettingsDAO.inc.php(86): PluginSettingsDAO->getPluginSettings(ā€˜0ā€™, ā€˜driverpluginā€™)
#4 lib/pkp/classes/cache/GenericCache.inc.php(63): PluginSettingsDAO->_cacheMiss(Object(FileCache), ā€˜enabledā€™)
#5 lib/pkp/cl in lib/pkp/lib/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/Capsule/Manager.php on line 74

Hi @Heorhii,
When I switch to the default theme, then there is no more 500 error. So I identified this as a custom theme bug related to db. In your case, the error related to db too (the provided log indicated it). But Iā€™m not sure. This question for who knows db well.

@Heorhii p.s. Have you successfully updated the databases? see Issue with Database (MariaDB) upgrade (failed from 3.2.1.3 to 3.3.0.2) - #7 by ross_s

Unfortunately, Iā€™m not that advanced user. I carried out past updates via the web without problems.

Hi @Heorhii,

The error:

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getConnection() on null 

ā€¦is caused by this issue:

You can fix it by applying the following change to lib/pkp/classes/install/form/UpgradeForm.inc.php, or by using the command-line upgrade tool instead of the web-based upgrade form.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

Hi @asmecher! @Vitaliy helped to solve the problem with the installation, the way to solve the problem:
Take 3.3.0.3 version
ā€¢add pkp/pkp-lib#6703 Fix web-based upgrade form by asmecher Ā· Pull Request #6719 Ā· pkp/pkp-lib Ā· GitHub fix
ā€¢add ā€˜engineā€™ => ā€˜InnoDBā€™, after this line
https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/blob/88c9965b2f601b79e034ceaff59d8a809b72943d/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php#L210
Enjoy the updateā€¦

ā€¦But not for long. Because we get problems with article files.

Hi @Heorhii,

Can you describe the problem with article files in a new topic?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I donā€™t know what the problem is, but after a successful update, all links to pdf files of articles are not correct. I will throw off the error log, unfortunately it does not tell me anything.

[08-Feb-2021 17:21:10 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class ā€˜finfoā€™ not found in public_html/public/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/league/flysystem/src/Adapter/Local.php:322
Stack trace:
#0 public_html/public/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/league/flysystem/src/Filesystem.php(285): League\Flysystem\Adapter\Local->getMimetype(ā€˜journals/1/artiā€¦ā€™)
#1 public_html/public/lib/pkp/classes/services/PKPFileService.inc.php(135): League\Flysystem\Filesystem->getMimetype(ā€˜journals/1/artiā€¦ā€™)
#2public_html/public/pages/article/ArticleHandler.inc.php(419): PKP\Services\PKPFileService->download(ā€˜journals/1/artiā€¦ā€™, Object(Stringy\Stringy))
#3 public_html/public/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRouter.inc.php(395): ArticleHandler->download(Array, Object(Request))
#4 public_html/public/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPPageRouter.inc.php(246): PKPRouter->_authorizeInitializeAndCallRequest(Array, Object(Request), Array, false)
#5 public_html/public/lib/pkp/classes/ in public_html/public/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/league/flysystem/src/Adapter/Local.php on line 322

Hi @Heorhii,

Please post this as a new topic; itā€™s not related to the rest of this thread.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher

Hello,

I came here because I found myself in a very similar situation.
I was trying to update from 3.2.1.2 to 3.3.0.2 when I ended up in the Http 500 Error page.
For information, I am using Immersion theme, and this is my Journalā€™s website: https://www.ista-online.org/journal/
Now, I have read what @Heorhii wrote for the way to solve the issue

But I would like to know if these steps need to followed now in order to update, or not. I am asking, because I am getting stuck before them, since they appearently look too difficult for me.
Should they also be included in the official upgrade documentation, if they are required in order to succesfully upgrade?
I am sorry to bother, but it is 5 days that I try to update and I am stuck. I have also uploaded again the whole Journal in an other subfolder, where I am trying to upgrade, and where you can see the problem in action: https://www.ista-online.org/ojs

Thank you very much for any help that you could give me.
Best regards,
Leonardo

Hi @leonardo.mancini,

There are already several issues described in this topic and itā€™s not clear which youā€™re encountering (or if itā€™s something else entirely). Could you post a new topic describing the issues youā€™re encountering in detail? Note that we also released OJS 3.3.0-4 yesterday, and it corrects at least one of the issues discussed here.

Regards,
Alec Smecher