How to require bio statement in OJS 2.x

We have a journal that would like to require authors to enter a bio statement when they submit an article. I have a couple of questions about this:

First, is it possible to separate this from user registration, or would changing this setting mean that all users registering with the journal (in this case this would include readers, but not reviewers) would need to enter a bio statement?

Second, where do I change the setting for this field to be required? Is this in CreateAccountForm.inc.php, or is there another location?

Hi @hcorbett,

User accounts and author records are tracked separately, so it’s possible to make a change such that bio statements are required when submitting an article, but not when registering for a user account. That would be done in classes/author/form/submit/AuthorSubmitStep3Form.inc.php in the same way that other author fields are required.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Great - thanks! I’ll give it a try.

Hi.

Is it possible to modify this setting on a journal by journal basis, please?

Our installation is shared among many independent journals.

We’d like to disable the bio field if possible.

Thanks,
-FGN.

Hi @fgnievinski,

Sorry, I’m not sure I’m following – which setting would you like to modify? Is it the enabling/disabling of that field?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I thought that AuthorSubmitStep3Form.inc.php was a configuration file. But now I realize it’s the actual source code for the submission form, right?

If so, then I assume modifications would be side-wide. I’d probably be unable to disable the bio field just for my journal, right?

Thanks,
FGN.

Hi @fgnievinski,

Yes, changes to that code would affect all journals – though it’s possible to make changes dependent on the journal, e.g.:

$journal = $request->getJournal();
if ($journal->getPath() == 'myPath') {
    ...this code is only executed for the journal "myPath"...
}

Regards,
Alec Smecher