How to make a child theme

When cloning from the GitHub, you can use: git clone https://github.com/CembraV/HealthSciencesChildTheme.git healthSciencesChild from a themes directory to specify the folder’s name. It worked in my case, although I’m not sure if the problem was in classes naming convention as per pull request.

doesnt work…
I guess that if it works at your installation like it does with @horne.b, the problem should be with my installation, dont you think so?

Does the child theme still not appear in the dropdown menu?

yes, it still does not appear.
as Nate’s default child theme does not appear either.

When you install NateWr’s default child theme, is this the path you’re using?:

plugins/themes/default-child/

The version.xml file is very clear about how the “application” value has to match the theme’s directory name exactly. And when you’ve enabled it, remember that it won’t appear as “Default Child Theme” but rather as “Example Child Theme”.

One other thing worth checking: When you install these plugins, what are the permissions you’re assigning to their directories and subdirectories?

I’ve tried “defaultchild”, “default-child” and “default-Child”.
None of them works
the permissions are 775 for folders and 664 for files.

(And I’m very greatfull for your help :slight_smile: )

Hi @cembra,

Actually, I’m able to reproduce the problem. Haven’t noticed it earlier because worked mostly with child theme, parent’s of which doesn’t contain own templates. There is related issue on GitHub: Overridden plugin templates in theme not shown in child theme · Issue #4054 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub about which I’ve completely forgot. Sorry for confusion.

Thanks @Vitaliy, but i seems to me that what i’m facing is a different problem.
I cant even make the child theme available at the dropbox at settings > website > appearance > theme.

Hi Vitaliy,

That seems like a significant bug! If child themes don’t automatically use parent templates right now, then am I correct in understanding that their only real utility would be to copy LESS and CSS styling? I’m only beginning to learn how to create child themes, but I gathered that they didn’t automatically include scripts from their parent themes either. So if they don’t include scripts or templates then I really don’t quite see how a child theme is of any more use than uploading a CSS.

To put this another way: Are child themes effectively broken in 3.1.2?

Hi, i’m facing same issue with default child theme.
It’s shows activated on Modules, but missing in settings > website > appearance > theme.
No errors in log, just a couple of warnings and several lines like:
[09-May-2019 13:17:16 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; Smarty has a deprecated constructor in /home/myojse/public_html/myjournal/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php on line 64

I’m using OJS 3.1.1.4, php 7.0

My bad, i’ve missplaced child theme files!
I made a subdir called default-child upload child theme files and now it’s working.