How to import references by using XML?

Hi there! We’re now moving our journal form another system to OJS and trying to import all the articles by using xml import plugin. There is a problem: no references tag in native.dtd file. Even if I create a test article with references (or citates, sorry for my english =) ) and then export it, then resulting XML file do NOT contain that info.
Please say how to solve the problem!
Thanks

1 Like

Hi @trase8,

You’re right – that field was accidentally left out of the import/export format. I’ve filed this for attention:

Unfortunately it’s too late for this to get into OJS 2.4.8, as that is literally on its way out the door. But feel free to sign up for updates on the status of that bug. (And of course if you’re in a position to hack away at it yourself I’d be happy to provide some guidance.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Yes, please, explain how to import references.

Hi @Santa,

Do you have PHP development skills?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Yes, I do to some extend. I know there are another interested people who are more advanced than me. Give us guidance and we will see.

Hi @Santa,

The import and export classes are plugins/importexport/native/NativeImportDom.inc.php and plugins/importexport/native/NativeExportDom.inc.php, and the DTD is in plugins/importexport/native/native.dtd.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

It looks different in OJS 3. Do you mean NativeImportExportPlugin.inc.php?

Hi @Santa,

Ah, it wasn’t specified, but the original discussion was about OJS 2.4.x. OJS 3.x does have the same need as well. For OJS 3.x, we use the filter framework – the relevant filters are lib/pkp/plugins/importexport/native/filter/SubmissionNativeXmlFilter.inc.php and lib/pkp/plugins/importexport/native/filter/NativeXmlSubmissionFilter.inc.php. Rather than a DTD, we’re using a schema for OJS 3.x – it’s implemented in lib/pkp/plugins/importexport/native/pkp-native.xsd.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi, @asmecher
Hi, @Santa

Could you please tell me if there is some success with the References Import/Export by XML?

Best Regards,
Andrey

Hi @Diplodok

Unfortunately, this is currently not possible. I’ve opened a new GitHub Issue, where you can then track the status of that work: references native import · Issue #4195 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

Best,
Bozana

You can solve it manually.

1. Add new field ‘citations’
  2. Changes ‘references’ to ‘citations’ in input anf output forms
  3. Change where appropriate
    in file SubmissionFileNativeXmlFilter.inc.php
    $this->createLocalizedNodes($doc, $submissionNode, ‘rights’, $submission->getCitations(null));
    in file NativeXmlSubmissionFileFilter.inc.php
    ‘citations’ => ‘setCitations’,
    in file pkp-native.xsd

Hi @Santa.
Thank you for your suggestion.
I am not familiar with php, mysql, etc.
Howerer I will try.
Thanks a lot.

By the way, if this way really works, maybe developers can implement it in new version?

Hi there! We’re now moving our journal form another system to OJS and trying to import all the articles by using xml import plugin. There is a problem: no references tag in native.dtd file,
I do not understand which php files to modify for it to work.

Hi @bozana,
Is there any update on when it might become possible to import/export references?