How to get the "Public User Profil URL"?

Hi,

I can’t find my public user profile URL.
I can edit my profile but I can not find my URL.

My Journals  -> /index.php/index/user
My Profile  -> /index.php/index/user/profile
Log Out  -> /index.php/index/login/signOut

There must me a link that shows my public profile, right?

Something like /index.php/index/user/viewPublicProfile/me

Can you please help me.
Thanks

1 Like

Hi @benno,

What version of OJS are you using? (Please include this with your posts.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi,

I think this applies to all version, but I am using: Open Journal Systems 2.4.8.1

Please let me know where I can find the public static user profile url.

Thanks

Hi @benno,

There are two potentially relevant URLs:

• Your author information URL. See “browse by author” for a list of authors. (These correspond to author records, not user records, and are not very well disambiguated in OJS 2.4.x.)

• Your “editorial team bio” page, e.g. http://[...]/index.php/[journalPath]/about/editorialTeamBio/[userId] (with [...], [journalPath] and [userId] replaced appropriately). This is not really intended as an author profile page, but could be used that way, I suppose.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi,

thanks for the info, but I think it does not really solve my question.

When I register a account and edit my profile I want to know the UserId to get the public user profile url.

userid=12345
Example: http://www.myurl.com/index.php/index/user/viewPublicProfile/12345

But when I am logged in I can not get a userid. I tried to check the html code for nearly every user site but never get a chance to get the userid.
Is it maybe coded in the cookie hash?
I thought there would be a hidden form field at the edit page with the userid, but no way.
And even I can find a “me” url like Facebook or pinterest offer: pinterest.com/me or facebook.com/me forwards the user to the profile page.

Hope this makes the questions more clear.

Thanks so far.

Regards

nobody has an idea? Please help

@benno, have you written a plugin which provides a public profile by the internal user id? Could you change that to use the username instead? This will be more consistent with information which is exposed within the interface.

hi,

no, I have no plugin for that.
But since the public profile urls are existent there must be a way for the user to their userid and see or send the profile url to other students or friends…

thanks

Interesting.

There is a viewPublicProfile URI and handler.

The template for this handler also exists.

The handler, however, only considers a profile “public” if the user has made public comments, and it is only exposed from those comments.

I think this functionality has been long forgotten.

If you removed the check from the handler regarding the comments, you could expose this for any user. If you as as a user wanted to discover your own id, it is is possible, although it is not simple. To do this, login and upload a profile image. The profile image will be named with your user id at the end.

I’ve been mulling over security considerations in posting this. The worst case scenario I can come up with is that a malicious user could use their biography to attempt to use javascript or XSS to formulate unwanted content posing as a legitimate output of a trusted website. That risk is largely mitigated by the allowed_html filter in config.inc.php.

thanks, now I understand, The profile gets only public when I comment…

And after the comment I can see my profile url, when my name is displayed instead of uploading a image…

Think this is the only way, right?

[EDIT]
I just tried that and the url that is linked to my username is:
comment/view/7898/0/{$publicProfileUrl}

so it does not redirects to my profile url, correctly…

Confirmed locally. One more example of how forgotten this functionality is. I’ll open a bug report.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Issue and fix filed here:

Hi, Benno.

Where is the comment option. How do i comment. Can you please help.

@ctgraham Need help!. How to post comment on open journal system… How can i get [viewPublicProfile URI]??

In OJS 2.x comments must be enabled via the Reading Tools component:
Login → User Home → Journal Manager → Reading Tools → Reading Tools Options → Add comment.

Once comments are enabled, they can be disabled for particular sections:
Login → User Home → Journal Manager → Journal Sections → select a section → Disable reader comments for this section.

@ctgraham Hi… I want my profile to be public [viewPublicProfile URI]??. For example i am posting on website. Open Journal Systems.

I am not able to see journal manager option and reading tools??. Can you please help me with this query.

@ctgraham Can u share a screenshot please. It will be really helpful…

Profiles are only public if comments are enabled. Comments can only be enabled by a journal manager. This is done for the journal in the Reading Tools configuration here:
rtconfig

1 Like