How to clear all 'salutation' values from users in one journal?

Hello all,

The title is pretty self-explanatory.
So, I manage to select all users from one journal, but can’t figure out how to UPDATE all salutation values to NULL from that select.

Also, I think the field should be used, or another added to the profile, to set user degree… It’s important to us that reviewers have AT LEAST Doctoral degree…

As they don’t log in that often, profile data may change along their lives. Some external international reviewer database connection would come in handy for this. ORCID becoming a standard, hopefully OxS 3 will solve the discrepancies. User emails, bio, addresses and contacts change more often than we can control. And some users, unfortunately, also die, but we need to keep record of what they’ve done…

You can learn more about SQL UPDATE statements here:
http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_update.asp

In OJS 3.x we have moved away from collecting “extra” user information such as biographies and integrating better with ORCID.

If you want to ensure certain quality control on the reviewer pool, have you considered disallowing reviewer self-registration? OJS allows for the configuration where editorial staff manages the reviewer role assignment.

Hello @ctgraham,

That’s what we do, but user profile data is something out of our control… We’ve been using OJS since 1.5, and our user base is quite messed up. Also, very difficult to clean…

We’ve been working on merging accounts and so on, but, whenever people need to enter data, they mistype, misspell or don’t understand what data needs to be entered… A real nightmare…

Also, when we enter data, it comes from a certain date, It’s a “photo” of their data at the time, which changes over time, including email… We never have fully reliable data on users…

By the way, I’m waiting for this “solution” in order to hide that field from the forms…