How to add a HTML galley from Word 2016?

We’ve now upgraded to the latest revision of OJS 3.1.0-1 and would like to start creating HTML galleys. Typically we save word 2016 files as PDF and use these as galleys. Is there a step by step guide on how to create and upload a HTML galley from a word 2016 file?

It is very hard (impossible) to find any simple, easy to follow guide on how to create a HTML galley from word. Does a guide exist?

We do not have 3-4 hours to convert word to xml etc. There needs to be a faster way.

Any help appreciated.

Microsoft Word can save files as HTML.

thank you for responding, and my mistake for not being more precise. I have done a file save as to web page, filtered. I note in OJS 3.1 the html appears in a separate window, not as part of the OJS webpage as in OJS 2.4.8, this is a pity as it has little value over using PDF. Or am I missing some setting that would allow the HTML to be rendered in the page with the header, columns, etc retained?

In OJS any galley file would be accessible to the user on a separate webpage, other than article landing page. If you have necessary skills, you can style the page for HTML Galleys.

thank you Vitaliy, I’ll see what I can achieve with the HTML galleys. My first attempt at converting word 2016 to html that would work reasonably in OJS 3.1 was not successful, the output is terrible. Hence my request for a guide if anyone knows how to do this successfully.

Terrible in what sense? If it is about look (not structure), you’d simply need to write CSS, to render the output.

I think there a lots of ways to achieve it and it depends on your expectations.

We integrated HTML galleys in one of our journals, see e.g. View of In the Name of Civilisation. Sonja Schillings's <em>Enemies of All Humankind. Fictions of Legitimate Violence</em> | KULT_online For the editors one of the most important things was that the overall journal layout should be preserved when reading the HTML-fulltext.

By looking at the site source code you will see that we didn’t find a perfect solution but it works. Our approach is:

• create a very simple html file starting and ending with a html tag.
  • Upload this file as galley then OJS will recognize it as html.
  • we modified the htmlgalley plugin a little bit (see Problem styling HTML Galley OJS 3.0 at the end) so that header and footer stay.

But this is fine for short texts with just a few images. And we have a second html element in the page source which is forbidden. But browsers a nice enough to ignore it.

Thank you for this information, it is very important. I’ll look through the material identified. It is a pity that OJS does not have guides for common activities like turning word documents into html galleys.