How can users upload their CV in their profile?

Hello all,
we want to ask our users and especially reviewers to upload their cv’s in their profile.
is this possible in OJS-2.4.6?

Best,
Ali

Hi @alirezaaa,

Currently there’s no feature for that – it’s not a requirement I’ve heard before, but I suppose you could add a file upload to the user profile following the example set by the profile image (but altering the code that currently expects an image in order to permit a different file type). Be careful not to permit arbitrary file uploads to the public files area, however, as this might provide an avenue for attacks by uploading e.g. .php files for remote invocation.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thankyou for your response @asmecher,
it is not a requirement, but certainly useful!
uploaded photos are all saved in one folder in public, which is usually web accessible. is it a good idea and applicable to store user files in a new folder in files?

Best,
Ali

Hi @alirezaaa,

Yes, it would be safer to mediate access through OJS to something in the files directory. If your permit arbitrary (self-registered) users to upload arbitrary file formats, keep in mind that you might find your server being used for unwanted storage! You might be able to mitigate risk here by limiting file types (e.g. to PDF, .docx, .odt), and by adding a file size limit.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

If using the public directory for arbitrary storage, it would also be critical to use the webserver configuration to explicitly disable scripted execution (PHP, CGI) of files within that directory.

thank you for the comments @ctgraham and @asmecher,
using the public folder is out of question and there are many considerations about uploading, replacing, displaying, …
honestly, I gave up for now!

Best,
Ali