Hosting OMP for multiple independent projects

Hello,

We are considering hosting OMP on Wordipedia.org using Softaculous on our Linux web server. Wordipedia is just launching as a multilingual language reference with integrated authoring tools. The audience is high schools, colleges, independent authors, journalists, publishers, editors, and translators. The intent is that members of Wordipedia can create projects in OMP on our site, collaborate, and publish their works. Members would use Wordipedia’s WordDiscovery functions during authoring. Different OMP projects would be launched ad hoc by members who would then enlist other members to work with them.

Would this be a feasible implementation of OMP and would it allow for multiple independent projects? I envision that different members would create different projects and each project would be independent of the others, as would be the member teams working on them.

Thank you!!

Lyle Holcomb

Hi @lyleholc,

Have you explored OMP much yet? OMP offers several levels of organization – from smallest to largest, the chapter/chapter file, the monograph, the series, and the press, and of course the installation. Depending on how you want to scope a project, you could spin up a new one of any of those levels for each project.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec,

Thank you. Let me look and see what those do.

Hi Alec,

What I’m looking at is the installation on a Linux server which has the following note on the download page. What I don’t understand is whether this (or another alternative) let’s multiple people create and collaborate on multiple different projects. Could you explain?

(Do you want to install Open Monograph Press on your server? Installing this program will allow you to host a press for you and your colleagues. Open Monograph Press can be used on a web server that is serving other functions, and requires very little in the way of system requirements)

Hi @lyleholc,

Yes, OMP is a multi-user workflow tool; the basic model follows a normal scholarly workflow (peer review, copyediting, etc). I’d suggest installing and exploring it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Will do. Thank you!!