Guidance for OJS 3.0 beta version post-installation

I recently installed beta version of OJS 3.0 on my webserver through manual installation. The installation has gone smoothly as per the instructions given, but when i am trying to login to administrative panel, it is logging me in but it just hangs there with message as “loading…”…i know my post here is not much clear but will be glad if somebody can help me out with this limited information, which i could provide. Have already installed it 3 times and atleast 5 different days. My earlier version of OJS was working fine on same server.

I am providing the screenshot of the same here:

Hi @Aakash_Arora,

Have you checked your PHP error log? I suspect there’s more information there.

By the way, we’ve made a lot of progress since OJS 3.0 beta; I’d suggest using the current master branch from github.com if you’re able.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

Sir, sorry for being a novice but in which directory am i supposed to check the log file? Been using OJS since last 2 years but installation of OJS through softaculous has made me bit out of league :slight_smile: For first time, i have attempted manual installation of ojs with version 3.0. have searched through error log on my server and i got three files which might have been relevant i.e .htaccess; public_html/error_log and third one was softaculous error_log. only public_html/error_log showed a long list of error most of which went well above my head to pin point anything useful…am posting bit of error code here, if you might find a way around. Else i will consider to demolish my current installation and revert back to good old 2.8.0 version till we get 3.0 stable version…here goes the error code, what i could find, sir:

[26-Jul-2016 15:24:10 Asia/Kolkata] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of ReportPlugin::manage() should be compatible with Plugin::manage($verb, $args, &$message, &$messageParams, &$pluginModalContent = NULL) in /home/(site name)/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/ReportPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[26-Jul-2016 15:24:10 Asia/Kolkata] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of AdminHandler::authorize() should be compatible with PKPHandler::authorize($request, &$args, $roleAssignments, $enforceRestrictedSite = true) in /home/
(site name)/public_html/lib/pkp/pages/admin/AdminHandler.inc.php on line 18
[26-Jul-2016 15:24:10 Asia/Kolkata] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of ThemePlugin::getTemplatePath() should be compatible with Plugin::getTemplatePath($inCore = false) in /home/(site name)/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/ThemePlugin.inc.php on line 0
[26-Jul-2016 15:24:10 Asia/Kolkata] PHP Warning: array_intersect(): Argument #2 is not an array in /home/
(site name)/public_html/cache/t_compile/f05ed8f5518f4fab856f39cebccd8292f09d6dfd^%%36^36E^36E89D0E%%header.tpl.php on line 110
[26-Jul-2016 15:24:10 Asia/Kolkata] PHP Warning: array_intersect(): Argument #2 is not an array in /home/(site name)/public_html/cache/t_compile/f05ed8f5518f4fab856f39cebccd8292f09d6dfd^%%36^36E^36E89D0E%%header.tpl.php on line 120
[26-Jul-2016 17:32:45 Asia/Kolkata] PHP Strict Standards: Only variables should be passed by reference in /home/
(site name)/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 223
[26-Jul-2016 17:32:45 Asia/Kolkata] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of TinyMCEPlugin::getTemplatePath() should be compatible with Plugin::getTemplatePath($inCore = false) in /home/*******(site name)/public_html/plugins/generic/tinymce/TinyMCEPlugin.inc.php on line 18

P.S: Sir, have replaced the personal information of the site with *******(site name)…Hope you don’t mind…

warm regards

Hi @Aakash_Arora,

OJS 3.0 beta will generate a lot of warnings, particularly if you have strict mode turned on. I would suggest turning off strict mode in your PHP configuration; on a shared host you can usually do this using an .htaccess override but the details will depend on your host’s configuration.

I would suggest either sticking with the stable 2.4.8 release, or using the current master branch from git; so much has changed since the 3.0 beta that you’ll effectively be investing time in a dead end. If you want to spin up a copy of the master branch fast and are familiar with Vagrant, try GitHub - pkp/vagrant: Vagrant environments for PKP software.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team