Guest editor and section editor email Notification

we are using the latest version, OJS 3.3.0.13. the below notification appears for the guest editor and section editor. but for the journal editor, it’s working fine. previously it was working fine for all.

There was a problem sending an email message. Please try again later, or contact your system administrator.

Hi @Rohaan123,

You’ll need to talk to the systems administrator for the server that is hosting your installation. There will be detailed error messages in the Apache error log for this.

-Roger
PKP Team

Thanks for your reply,

I have mentioned that this issue is only for section editors and guest editors. If this issue from the systems administrator for the server then it would be for all roles.

For the Journal manager and journal editors, it’s working fine.

Even when reviewers accept the invitation, then they also receive the same message.

“There was a problem sending an email message. Please try again later, or contact your system administrator.”

This issue is only for other roles instead of journal manager and journal editor. If this issue is from the systems administrator for the server, then it would be for all roles.

Hi @Rohaan123,

Did you locate any messages from your error logs like I requested earlier? Messages from these logs are key to determining what the underlying issue is in cases such as these. If you’re unsure of how to go about checking logs, please see this post: How do I find my PHP error log? Typically system administrators only have access to logs, but this can vary, which is why I suggested it earlier.

-Roger
PKP Team

Thank you very much
Please find the error log.

[12-Feb-2023 06:28:25 UTC] PHP Warning: include(/home/n7ttt5zjvic1/public_html/cache/fc-pluginSettings-1-plauditplugin.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/n7ttt5zjvic1/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/cache/FileCache.inc.php on line 46
[12-Feb-2023 06:28:25 UTC] PHP Warning: include(): Failed opening ‘/home/n7ttt5zjvic1/public_html/cache/fc-pluginSettings-1-plauditplugin.php’ for inclusion (include_path=‘.:/opt/alt/php74/usr/share/pear’) in /home/n7ttt5zjvic1/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/cache/FileCache.inc.php on line 46
[12-Feb-2023 06:28:25 UTC] PHP Warning: assert(): assert(is_a($plugin, $classToCheck ?: ‘Plugin’)) failed in /home/n7ttt5zjvic1/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.inc.php on line 242

[12-Feb-2023 06:28:43 UTC] Could not instantiate mail function.

[12-Feb-2023 06:28:43 UTC] PHP Warning: assert(): assert(is_a($plugin, $classToCheck ?: ‘Plugin’)) failed in /home/n7ttt5zjvic1/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.inc.php on line 242
[12-Feb-2023 06:28:48 UTC] ojs2: 404 Not Found
[12-Feb-2023 06:28:51 UTC] PHP Warning: assert(): assert(is_a($plugin, $classToCheck ?: ‘Plugin’)) failed in /home/n7ttt5zjvic1/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.inc.php on line 242

@rcgillis
We have updated from version: 3.3.0.13 to 3.3.0.14, but the issue is still the same.

I think the issue is with “Could not instantiate mail function,” which is not working for other roles instead of journal manager and journal editor.

Is there any solution?

Hi @Rohaan123,

Thank you for providing this additional information. I’m not really sure at this point, but I have asked some of my colleagues to look into this and they will get back to you when they have a response/are available.

-Roger
PKP Team

@rcgillis

Thanks for your response. We are facing this issue. Many authors are also not receiving the password change link, and reviewers are also facing trouble. You guys are doing a great job. Hopefully, you can handle this situation asap.

Hi @Rohaan123,

If some email is delivered but others report a problem sending the message, it usually means your email server is unwilling to deliver the message because of some characteristic of its contents. This often means how it is addressed. The only way to know for sure why the message is being rejected is to check your email server’s delivery log; details on how or whether you can access this will depend on your service provider. You might have some luck adjusting the following [email] settings in config.inc.php:

• allow_envelope_sender
  • default_envelope_sender
  • force_default_envelope_sender
  • force_dmarc_compliant_from

Unfortunately OJS does not have access to any further information about why the message is being rejected, so you’ll have to inquire with your service provider for more detailed info.

If you are not using your service provider’s SMTP server, that could be worth trying.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

We are not using the SMTP server setting.

All the below options are off.

• allow_envelope_sender
  • default_envelope_sender
  • force_default_envelope_sender
  • force_dmarc_compliant_from

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Email Settings ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

[email]

; Use SMTP for sending mail instead of mail()
; smtp = On

; SMTP server settings
; smtp_server = mail.example.com
; smtp_port = 25

; Enable SMTP authentication
; Supported smtp_auth: ssl, tls (see PHPMailer SMTPSecure)
; smtp_auth = ssl
; smtp_username = username
; smtp_password = password
;
; Supported smtp_authtype: RAM-MD5, LOGIN, PLAIN, XOAUTH2 (see PHPMailer AuthType)
; (Leave blank to try them in that order)
; smtp_authtype =

; The following are required for smtp_authtype = XOAUTH2 (e.g. GMail OAuth)
; (See Using Gmail with XOAUTH2 · PHPMailer/PHPMailer Wiki · GitHub)
; smtp_oauth_provider = Google
; smtp_oauth_email =
; smtp_oauth_clientid =
; smtp_oauth_clientsecret =
; smtp_oauth_refreshtoken =

; Enable suppressing verification of SMTP certificate in PHPMailer
; Note: this is not recommended per PHPMailer documentation
; smtp_suppress_cert_check = On

; Allow envelope sender to be specified
; (may not be possible with some server configurations)
; allow_envelope_sender = Off

; Default envelope sender to use if none is specified elsewhere
; default_envelope_sender = my_address@my_host.com

; Force the default envelope sender (if present)
; This is useful if setting up a site-wide no-reply address
; The reply-to field will be set with the reply-to or from address.
; force_default_envelope_sender = Off

; Force a DMARC compliant from header (RFC5322.From)
; If any of your users have email addresses in domains not under your control
; you may need to set this to be compliant with DMARC policies published by
; those 3rd party domains.
; Setting this will move the users address into the reply-to field and the
; from field wil be rewritten with the default_envelope_sender.
; To use this you must set force_default_enveloper_sender = On and
; default_envelope_sender must be set to a valid address in a domain you own.
; force_dmarc_compliant_from = Off

; The display name to use with a DMARC compliant from header
; By default the DMARC compliant from will have an empty name but this can
; be changed by adding a text here.
; You can use ‘%n’ to insert the users name from the original from header
; and ‘%s’ to insert the localized sitename.
; dmarc_compliant_from_displayname = ‘%n via %s’

; Amount of time required between attempts to send non-editorial emails
; in seconds. This can be used to help prevent email relaying via OJS.
time_between_emails = 3600

; Maximum number of recipients that can be included in a single email
; (either as To:, Cc:, or Bcc: addresses) for a non-privileged user
max_recipients = 10

; If enabled, email addresses must be validated before login is possible.
require_validation = Off

; Maximum number of days before an unvalidated account expires and is deleted
validation_timeout = 14

Hi @Rohaan123,

Because some email is being delivered, it proves that OJS is able to reach your mail server (local sendmail delivery, as you have disabled SMTP) but that your mail server is refusing to deliver other messages. I can’t provide you any further guidance on this because I don’t know how your mail server is configured or why it’s rejecting the messages. You’ll have to look for email delivery logs on your server, or if you can’t find those, consult with your service provider.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

We already try with the SMTP server setting but the issue is still the same.

We already try with the SMTP server setting, but the issue is still the same.

Reply from the system administrator
Okay. as I mentioned If it is an issue with the cPanel emails, the webmail will not be working, please check the settings or portals you are trying to send mail, and please put your bounce back error in the below link by providing the original email that is being sent, so the team will help you with the reason of bounce back
https://checkspam.godaddy.com/

We are using Godaddy hosting services, We discussed them many times, but they said there is no issue at our side. then we tested with different hosting, then we found every thing is working fine.

One thing is clear there is no issue with OJS and issue from the hosting which is still unclear.

do you have any idea why the same system is working fine on the other hosting (server) and creating this issue with current hosting (hosting)?

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.